©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

METAL - enter @ your own risk

way2tense

Jan 3, 2013
I'm going to try and take a second with each song I post and point out some specifics of what I like about them. I do it once in awhile, especially in more obscure stuff so someone passing by can zero in on what at least one listener likes about it :)

This song is taken off of the album Covenant, when I personally feel Morbid Angel had pretty much taken over and dominated the very competitive Death Metal scene at the time (much like Slayer did with speed metal in the 80's).

While I think Blessed Are The Sick is musically the best Morbid Angel album, there is just absolutely no denying the brutal aggressiveness of the entire Covenant album. It's angry, heavy, fast and just a complete crushing experience from beginning to end. One of my favorites here from the record, a vicious 3:15 second experience that has the focused intense ending of a song that I like in the final 10 seconds. It's like the last nail in the coffin of the song :D

Morbid Angel - Vengeance Is Mine [Full Dynamic Range Edition] - YouTube

im not a death metal guy or a big morbid angel fan but i love this album...really liked the follow up too..."domination"...ive only heard a few of their albums but i need to dig through their catalog...

trey should be doing movie scores...hes brilliant.

way2tense

Jan 3, 2013
i saw this tour...they sounded exactly like they sound on the album..

Where The Slime Live - YouTube

way2tense

Jan 3, 2013
trey is a genius...

my favorite cut from "covenant"...

Morbid Angel - Angel Of Disease - YouTube

Marshall

AnaSCI VIP / Donating Member
Oct 31, 2012
Excellent, glad you got to see them back in the day. I was fortunate enough to see them in their prime during the Covenant tour in '93. Was an excellent show in all ways. Death Metal and Black Metal are not two of my favorite genre's, however there are some classic A-list crushers of all-time from those categories. I have to agree, the original lineup with Trey is legendary.

Here's a two minute powerhouse from Blessed Are The Sick that imo encapsulates everything that was extraordinary about Morbid Angel. A thunderous intro, ultra tight and aggressive main riff, a great changeup @ the 1:17 mark with Trey's otherworldly solo and the perfect crushing type finish that I like.

Morbid Angel - Day of Suffering (Full Dynamic Range Edition) - YouTube

way2tense

Jan 3, 2013
Excellent, glad you got to see them back in the day. I was fortunate enough to see them in their prime during the Covenant tour in '93. Was an excellent show in all ways. Death Metal and Black Metal are not two of my favorite genre's, however there are some classic A-list crushers of all-time from those categories. I have to agree, the original lineup with Trey is legendary.

Here's a two minute powerhouse from Blessed Are The Sick that imo encapsulates everything that was extraordinary about Morbid Angel. A thunderous intro, ultra tight and aggressive main riff, a great changeup @ the 1:17 mark with Trey's otherworldly solo and the perfect crushing type finish that I like.

Morbid Angel - Day of Suffering (Full Dynamic Range Edition) - YouTube

havent heard "blessed are the sick" but im gonna dig in and listen to it a few times...torture the ol' lady a bit...:p
shes a good sport but has trouble with some of the shit i listen to...
i gotta tell ya she wasnt real happy when i was listening to "seven churches" and "beyond the gates" a couple months ago...first thing in the morning before work...and whenever we were in the car...:headbang:

way2tense

Jan 3, 2013
was hard to pick a couple tunes from this album...so good..from start to finish...

Disincarnate - Beyond The Flesh - YouTube

Marshall

Oct 31, 2012
Some damn good classic death metal right there ! '93-'94 was the zenith before the fallout. Grunge and industrial seemed to push it out of the limelight.

Marshall

Oct 31, 2012
Probably my favorite Deicide tune, one of the heavy hitters in the death genre from the early 90's. Just an absolutely ultra aggressive/intense tune with Benton's voice in fine form. Love the breakdown and riff @ 1:22. Interesting lyrical concept from the "satanic" themed group pointing out that the sociopathic homicidal Charles Manson is a creation of god.

Lunatic Of God's Creation (Reissue) - YouTube

Last edited:

Marshall

Oct 31, 2012
i gotta tell ya she wasnt real happy when i was listening to "seven churches" and "beyond the gates" a couple months ago...first thing in the morning before work...and whenever we were in the car...:headbang:

Seven Churches was the album that got me a breakup threat back in the mid 80's from my g/f at the time lol

I narrowly survived it :D

I'm not sure how some people can take the presentation of art in one form (music) and find it religiously offensive and then view it in another form (film) and keep in perspective that it's entertainment with no problem. Always made me chuckle a bit.

way2tense

Jan 3, 2013
Probably my favorite Deicide tune, one of the heavy hitters in the death genre from the early 90's. Just an absolutely ultra aggressive/intense tune with Benton's voice in fine form. Love the breakdown and riff @ 1:22. Interesting lyrical concept from the "satanic" themed group pointing out that the sociopathic homicidal Charles Manson is a creation of god.

Lunatic Of God's Creation (Reissue) - YouTube

never got into deicide...but this is "nice":D...ill have to go back and try them again...

i just got done listening to "blessed are the sick"...:action-smiley-033:...great stuff...

Marshall

Oct 31, 2012
Ya, Deicide has a couple of killer tunes in their catalog. Overall, like a lot of death and black metal bands it can just get redundant and nothing sets itself apart, but the occasional gem can be found here and there.

"Blessed" to me is Morbid Angel's signature record. Covenant was probably the peak of their popularity and like I mentioned a truly devastating effort, but Blessed Are The Sick is just Morbid Angel at their musical finest. Songs tight, guitar tone heavier and cleaner than Covenant and David Vincent never sounded better.

Some great tunes on it, but this one is the showcase song for me. An absolute death metal classic and all-time crusher, Brainstorm.

Morbid Angel - Brainstorm (Full Dynamic Range Edition) - YouTube

Marshall

Oct 31, 2012
This is just an outright classic speed metal song from the golden era. I'd have to rank it in the top 10 from that time period. This despite having an absolutely ridiculous and weak guitar sound/tone. Pretty strong vocals and Tony Scaglione on drums who was a beast. Such a crisp powerful snare drum and hard driving low end in general, I guess it must have been by design to have such a tinty mid range guitar sound. Easy to listen to some of the tight fills by Scaglione and see why Slayer selected him to fill in for Lombardo when he took his mental health vacation on the Reign in Blood Tour.

Warmonger fits the exact definition of a speed metal tune.

War Monger - YouTube

Marshall

Oct 31, 2012
Now THAT'S how a snare should sound for a thrash band ! Not sure they had to drag all the gear out to the desert for the vid :D but cool band. Glad to see some of the millennials with their musical head screwed on straight ! :)

Marshall

Oct 31, 2012
After giving it quite a bit of thought, I've come to the conclusion that "this" is the quintessential speed metal song of all time. Absolutely crisp, clean with lightning fast precision. Technical perfection. Dave Lombardo is as on point as a drummer has a right to be, clearly showcasing why he is the hardcore drummer by which all others are measured. Truly a masterpiece in the thrash genre, the best of many bests, imho.

A great live version here, but post the legendary Hanneman. Had to have the flawless studio version with him along with this excellent live rendition. As good as it gets for speed metal gentlemen (and maybe a lady or two who pops in), Born of Fire.

Slayer - Born Of Fire [HQ] (With Lyrics) - YouTube

Slayer Wacken 2014 - 11 Born of Fire - YouTube

way2tense

Jan 3, 2013
i love the way lombardo lets it "breathe" on this cut...
then the double bass drumming under(over?)the first solo...just beautiful...

Live Undead - YouTube

Marshall

Oct 31, 2012
Damn, I haven't heard Live Undead for years brother ! Hahaha Amazing how you can love a band and not hear certain songs for so long. Crooked Cross was always one of my favorites off South of Heaven. Ya, I have to say that on this album, Lombardo has a crisp, clean absolutely amazing drum sound.

Marshall

Oct 31, 2012
I think the guys had a little less overall quality sound on the Seasons recording than South of Heaven, but damn brother is this some GRADE A quality riffing or what? A great example of how I like to say, you can't do better. Don't stop trying kids, but these tunes are gold standards. Almost brings a tear to my eye :)

Slayer - Spirit In Black [HQ] (With Lyrics) - YouTube