©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

What's your favorite weight training exercise?

chrisr116

AnaSCI VET
Nov 20, 2012
I was thinking about this today at the gym. I am curious what you folks favorite exercise in the weight room is.

Mine is dips. I have been doing them twice a week for 6 years now, and can damn near do them forever, it seems. I remember on my 42nd birthday a few years ago, I set out to do 42 proper dips and ended up with 50. On the other hand, my least favorite exercise that I do is dumbbell flyes...don't know why, I just don't care for them...

So, lets hear it guys...

Last edited:

Magnus82

Banned
Oct 29, 2012
Out in the boondocks
Funny you say that. Dips is mine also. Never did them for years until Phil Hernon suggested them to me. Seems like I can do a ton without feeling like I am going to injure myself. Worked my way up to bw plus165 for 12 amd still climbing. Best of all my shoulders feel great

jacked391

AnaSCI VET
Oct 18, 2012
Shrugs db or barbell or what ever love shrugs. Love the bar u step into forget name hexagon bar

ShortStop

Jun 27, 2010
Mine is typical but I like to bench always have.. I use to be able to do a lot more but I never use to work my whole body before either.. I try to have more symmetry now er days.... I use to looking like a chicken hawk! :)

Slate23

Aug 17, 2013
NorthWest
I wish mine was deadlift. But that's probably my least favorite. That and calf extensions. My favorite exercise is incline dumbbell press.

chrisr116

AnaSCI VET
Nov 20, 2012
Mine is typical but I like to bench always have.. I use to be able to do a lot more but I never use to work my whole body before either.. I try to have more symmetry now er days.... I use to looking like a chicken hawk! :)

That was mine too, until my sholder started bothering me when I would heavy bench. I make sure and do my lower body every week for the same reason, don't want to look disproportional. I see guys with huge upper bodies and stick legs in the gym regularly. (Usually they are the ones wearing sweat pants year round with a tank top to show off their arms.)

chrisr116

AnaSCI VET
Nov 20, 2012
Funny you say that. Dips is mine also. Never did them for years until Phil Hernon suggested them to me. Seems like I can do a ton without feeling like I am going to injure myself. Worked my way up to bw plus165 for 12 amd still climbing. Best of all my shoulders feel great

Yeah, they don't hurt my shoulders at all, no matter how many I do. Are you using that leather belt with the chain to hold that weight when doing weighted dips?

Magnus82

Banned
Oct 29, 2012
Out in the boondocks
Well kind of, I improvised my own version. I just took a 4' length of chain with a carabiner on on end and run the other down through my belt. Just run the loose end through the weights and hook it up. I also like to put 20# chains around my neck to help keep the lean.

chrisr116

AnaSCI VET
Nov 20, 2012
Well kind of, I improvised my own version. I just took a 4' length of chain with a carabiner on on end and run the other down through my belt. Just run the loose end through the weights and hook it up. I also like to put 20# chains around my neck to help keep the lean.

I like that idea with the chain. The thing I don't like about the one I have been using is it feels like a dog choke chain. The more weight I use the tighter it gets. Thanks for the idea, I appreciate it.

ShortStop

Jun 27, 2010
That was mine too, until my sholder started bothering me when I would heavy bench. I make sure and do my lower body every week for the same reason, don't want to look disproportional. I see guys with huge upper bodies and stick legs in the gym regularly. (Usually they are the ones wearing sweat pants year round with a tank top to show off their arms.)

LOL.. Yea I see that all the time too.. I never use to work legs or calves.. Now its a must especially calves because they stick out my shorts and everybody sees them :D..... Legs have been the workout that I have made huge gains in the last few years.. I like legs now Big Wheels!

Ironbuilt

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Mûnich , Germany
Any leg exercise rock....

Magnus stole my idea through mind theft..i got the same set up w/ chain i also ,like him, use to prevent wife take off during "alone time"
With the boots of course...¿ :) in an unfinished basement..

Last edited:

chrisr116

AnaSCI VET
Nov 20, 2012
LOL.. Yea I see that all the time too.. I never use to work legs or calves.. Now its a must especially calves because they stick out my shorts and everybody sees them :D..... Legs have been the workout that I have made huge gains in the last few years.. I like legs now Big Wheels!

I have been doing seated and standing calf raises for most every gym session for probably 6 months to a year now, instead of only on leg days. I haven't really gained much size, as I think my calves are genetic, but what I have got is ripped. I have veins wrapping all the way around my shins and veins everywhere on my calves when I get em pumped up. Very defined now too.

Magnus82

Banned
Oct 29, 2012
Out in the boondocks
Any leg exercise rock....

Magnus stole my idea through mind theft..i got the same set up w/ chain i also ,like him, use to prevent wife take off during "alone time"
With the boots of course...¿ :) in an unfinished basement..

You forgot "Smooth up in ya" by Bulletboys playin in the background. :headbang:

thebrick

Super Moderator - RIP
Oct 28, 2012
I love deadlifts first, then any back exercise. Especially these days. Pulling is a lot easier on my shoulders than pressing