©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

What do you eat after your workout?

vikingquest

Jan 21, 2012
I use raw egg whites a lot. In my am shake and my post wo shake. Like 6 large egg whites equivalent.

Enigmatic707

AnaSCI VET
Feb 7, 2013
I use raw egg whites a lot. In my am shake and my post wo shake. Like 6 large egg whites equivalent.

Do a google search about protein absorption of raw egg whites- I didn't want to believe what I read till I started to find the abstracts that supported the idea.

Long story short, your body can't absorb a lot of the protein if the egg whites are raw.

Flipper2012

Jan 3, 2013
Do a google search about protein absorption of raw egg whites- I didn't want to believe what I read till I started to find the abstracts that supported the idea.

Long story short, your body can't absorb a lot of the protein if the egg whites are raw.

While this is true for RAW egg whites, the majority of egg whites in a carton are pastuerized which neutralizes the Avidin in the egg white making it easier to digest and kills salmonella

Enigmatic707

AnaSCI VET
Feb 7, 2013
While this is true for RAW egg whites, the majority of egg whites in a carton are pastuerized which neutralizes the Avidin in the egg white making it easier to digest and kills salmonella

Well two things
1- most eggs, more like 98% are not sold as pasteurized eggs

2- the ozone / gas pressure treatment by which eggs are treated for salmonella would have no effect on avidin. Studies have demonstrated quite conclusively that only temps about 70 celcius / 185 f would allow for enough denaturation of the biotin binding protein- avidin.

Some studies even suggest that cooking and egg for no less than 25 minutes at temps between 185-190 would still leave 30% of the avidin available for binding.

Durance, T.D.; Wong, N.S. (1992). "Kinetics of thermal inactivation of avidin". Food Research International 25 (2): 89–92. doi:10.1016/0963-9969(92)90148-X.

kubes

AnaSCI VET
Aug 23, 2013
Los Angeles
Not to mention eating raw egg whites is just yuck!! There are many other proteins I would prefer. I get the whole fast digestion thing after you train but I have never really been a big advocate of have to get protein in to your system right when you finish training either. Solid food works just as well if not better for me.

Enigmatic707

AnaSCI VET
Feb 7, 2013
I forget the coaches name, but he's been working Kai over the past few years- Greek guy I think.

His view on eggs is that it's total junk- I still not sure how I feel about this all but every time I look up a study it seems pretty clear cut that egg whites aren't that great of a source of protein unless totally cooked to the pint where eating it taste like shit.

I do love eggs though!!!

vikingquest

Jan 21, 2012
I just made my daughter and I scrambled eggs with cheese. We both love them. Used 3 eggs and 8 - 10 whites.

Flipper2012

Jan 3, 2013
Not to mention eating raw egg whites is just yuck!! There are many other proteins I would prefer. I get the whole fast digestion thing after you train but I have never really been a big advocate of have to get protein in to your system right when you finish training either. Solid food works just as well if not better for me.

Egg whites digest light years easier than any other protein at least for me and WAY more cost efficient

kubes

AnaSCI VET
Aug 23, 2013
Los Angeles
Egg whites digest light years easier than any other protein at least for me and WAY more cost efficient

Egg whites are most certainly a staple part of my diet and from my post you can clearly see i acknowledge they digest easy. I just do not like to eat them raw. ;)

Flipper2012

Jan 3, 2013
Egg whites are most certainly a staple part of my diet and from my post you can clearly see i acknowledge they digest easy. I just do not like to eat them raw. ;)

Have you tried the chocolate or strawberry flavored ones from places like muscleegg? I get the ones from Costco. 6 cartons for 9.50. They almost taste like milk

vikingquest

Jan 21, 2012
I mix them with whey and they actually make it taste better. I try to get a few sources of protein each time No real reason other than it sounds good lol subtitling of makes sense.

g0hardorgohome

Dec 1, 2013
Post workout shake is 1.25dl of maltodextrin and 1.25dl of whey protein.

For post workout meal I prefer rice with meat/chicken/salmon.

Slate23

Aug 17, 2013
NorthWest
Directly after my workout I always eat a banana. When I get home about 5 min later I drink a whey isolate shake. And then some kind of meal 10min after that. And I always eat the whole egg. Why waste the most nutritious part of the egg? And Organic or omega 3 eggs only.