©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Shoulder pain

Robin Hood

Sep 18, 2004
I have shoulder pain nearly since i started bb..Last night a friend gave me a shot of "cortisone"...do u think it will help??.....I went to a doc, but i think he was f'n stupid....didn't even ask me to go for x-rays......any ideas??

Oregon Diver

Dec 8, 2004
I ripped up my shoulder a few years back, and went to my doc. He took X-rays and gave me Ibuprofen. After a month he sent me to a Sports Med doc, who shot me with cortisone a couple of times, and sent me to see a PT at the local gym. I never knew if it was the cortisone or the prescribed training that made the pain go away.

DragonRider

Steroid Nazi
Jan 25, 2004
The shadows of your mind
What is your routine Robin? Cortisone will help the pain go away temporarily, but if you continue to do the thing that caused the damage, the pain will eventually return.
Presses behind the neck and pull downs behind the neck can cause this. So can an imbalance in the stabilizer muscles from front to back.

NorthQ

Sep 28, 2004
Oslo, Norway
I use brexidol from time to time when my mucles starts complaining to much, just for 2-3 days and Im back to normal. Try it out, perhaps it would work wonders for you too.

It helped me while in hospital with chestpains as well, I just love it!!

dugie82

Banned
May 13, 2004
Texas
I've had some horrible anterior ligament problems in my right shoulder for the past year. Since Aug'03 it has dislocated ~30 times, no-doubtibly causing some nerve damage. Had surgery on it in may of '04 but the problem has recently started returning, even after PT. I would reccomend Celebrex, but i've just read it causes bad colesterol and heart problems, so scratch that one. Work on rotator cuff strengthening and i would suggest going into a PT to find out what your ROM(range of motion) is to stay inside it during sports.

BTW xrays will not help, unless it's your bone pinching a nerve, in which case cortisone would not help anyways. Suggest an MRI, a stretched ligament in your anterior shoulder or a torn rotator cuff could be to blame.

Remember, just because the pain isnt there doesnt mean it's fixed!

ORACLE

Perfection Personifide
Dec 7, 2004
Tx
Most of the time we get shoulder problems because we lack the rear delt muscle more than the front. that imbalance causes the pain from the rotator cuff. I know what you mean about shoulder pain. I just started having this nagging pain in my left trap. Every time i've worked shoulders i put my hand on the wall above me to relieve the weight of my arm off my shoulder. sometimes i just let my arm rest on something in the gym to keep the weight off of it.

P

pincrusher

i have had problems with my left shoulder for a long time. to many upright rows and behind the neck presses i think is what caused it. also strained the cervical muscle on the left side of my neck.
only thing i found that helped was to change shoulder routine to a basic presses to the front but keep weight low and reps high. i also need to spend 2x as long warming up the shoulders than any other muscle.
also have found that deca is a lifesaver for me when cycling. the water retention in the joints from it helps ease the pain tremendously and is doing more than just masking it like cortisone does. if you plan on cycling or are currently on a cycle of juice, i would recommend adding deca if you are not already using it.

Robin Hood

Sep 18, 2004
Thanks for all the replies guys, i really appreciate it...What Cortisone actually does, it only cures inflamitiry...nothing else.....So if it's STILL sore, it's not inflamitory....i just found it out today..After a GOOD examination by "myself", i realised it just HAD to be the muscles on the front of the delts.My diagnose was, that IF it was "bone", it would have hurted if i swirl my arm after a "knock" is heard ( if u know what i mean...the sound of bones over each other ), but id didn't....which could ONLY mean....the muscles. ( on the front delts )
I was supposed to do shoulders today, but thought i'd rather give it a break for safetysakes..Tomorrow i have to do arms, and obviously u use your shoulders as well, but i will try and move my shoulders as little as possable...I've heard about Ibuprofin, and should maby try it....i will also keep Brexidol in mind
Thx once again :)

ORACLE

Perfection Personifide
Dec 7, 2004
Tx
Robin Hood also work more on your rear delts because that imbalance can hurt you also. especially on things like presses of any kind IE bench, shoulders...etc.

DragonRider

Steroid Nazi
Jan 25, 2004
The shadows of your mind
If it is a muscle in the front delt, it's not your shoulder routine that is causing the problem. It is a muscle imbalance brought on by overworking some muscles and underworking others. We need to see your complete routine.

Last edited:

Blackbird

Flatpicker
Sep 19, 2004
usa
That Doctor has a bunch of degrees on his wall to prove he is not "F'n" stupid. You let your friend give you a shot of cortisone, which could paralize your shoulder if not done right.
Are you nuts?
Every guy in the gym has shoulder problems. Warm it up properly. There are a ton of exercises you can do for warm up.

dugie82

Banned
May 13, 2004
Texas
i'm not so sure about the warming up to avoid it...

if it hurts cold, DONT DO IT. simple as that. Dont try to 'work through the pain', it can only get worse if not treated correctly.

ORACLE

Perfection Personifide
Dec 7, 2004
Tx
dugie82 said:
if it hurts cold, DONT DO IT. simple as that. Dont try to 'work through the pain', it can only get worse if not treated correctly.

sometimes a layoff is needed. let it mend itself....before any workout i'll try to warm up my shoulders and it somewhat helps. But of course i work heavy so that does nothing but aggravate it more. Oh well, just like i learned in the Army "suck it up and drive on"

DragonRider

Steroid Nazi
Jan 25, 2004
The shadows of your mind
dugie82 said:

I think he meant that some pain and injuries are brought on by not thoroughly warming up and a proper warm up will help prevent those.

On the other hand, you are correct. If it hurts cold, there is a serious problem and training should be avoided.

Also, some injuries and or pain are brought on by improper training and if that is corrected, the injury can heal. But, we need to know the routine to help correct that.

Robin Hood

Sep 18, 2004
Blackbird said:
That Doctor has a bunch of degrees on his wall to prove he is not "F'n" stupid. You let your friend give you a shot of cortisone, which could paralize your shoulder if not done right.
Are you nuts?
Every guy in the gym has shoulder problems. Warm it up properly. There are a ton of exercises you can do for warm up.
Who said he injected me in the shoulder???...it was in the ARSE!!...Also, I WAS at a doctor before. All he did, was grabbing my arm and swirling it around and replied.."sorry, nothing wrong..use lighter weights"..that's it!...5 min and he charged R120-00...remember, we're in South Africa my friend, all good doctors have FLED to your country and others....i won't go in detail, but you know why...so now you can immagine why i'm sceptical..I have major respect for doctors, believe me, but here you get doctors, AND doctors..:(

Robin Hood

Sep 18, 2004
DragonRider said:
If it is a muscle in the front delt, it's not your shoulder routine that is causing the problem. It is a muscle imbalance brought on by overworking some muscles and underworking others. We need to see your complete routine.
Here is my complete routine

Day 1. Chest,Calves,Abs Sets: Reps:

1. Bench press 4 6 - 10
2. Incline bench press 4 6 - 10
3. Decline bench press 4 6 - 10
4. Flat fly's 4 6 - 10
5. Crunches 4 15 - 20

Day 2. Legs

1. Swing Squat 4 4 - 10
2. Leg press 4 6 - 10
3. Leg raises (laying) 4 6 - 10
4. Leg extensions 4 6 - 10

Day 3. Back & Calves

1. Pull downs 4 6 - 10
2. T-Bar 4 8 - 10
3. Long pulley rowing 4 8 - 10
4. Dead Lift 4 8 - 10
5. Standing calves 4 15 - 20

Day 4. Shoulders & Abs

1. Upright Row 4 6 - 10
2. Military press 4 8 - 10
3. Shoulder Shrugs 4 10 - 20
4. Bend over laterals Raises 4 8 - 10
5. Crunches 4 15 - 20

Day 5. Biceps, Triceps

1. Dumbell Extentions 4 6 – 10
2. Hammer curls 4 6 - 10
3. Laying tricep extensions 4 6 – 10
4. Preacher curls 4 6 - 10
5. Press downs 5 8
6. Dumbbell curls 4 6 - 10

DragonRider

Steroid Nazi
Jan 25, 2004
The shadows of your mind
Robin Hood said:
Who said he injected me in the shoulder???...it was in the ARSE!!...(

It was an assumption because cortisone has to be injected in the joint that has the problem to be effective.

Cortisone is catabolic. The exact opposite of anabolic steroids. To inject it in your "arse" as you say, is to inject your body with anti-steroids.

Robin Hood

Sep 18, 2004
DragonRider said:
It was an assumption because cortisone has to be injected in the joint that has the problem to be effective.

Cortisone is catabolic. The exact opposite of anabolic steroids. To inject it in your "arse" as you say, is to inject your body with anti-steroids.
The reason for the bum, was to see whether it was an infection or not, thereby i can determon if it was bone, muscle or just plain inflamotory..
Btw, i think i found my problem exercise.....side-lateral-raises...:)

Robin Hood

Sep 18, 2004
Hey guys n dols...seems like i still got this f'n shoulder pain....no matter WHAT!!...I was thinking of resting for about 7-10 days....In this time though, will my muscles go smaller??....it might be a stupid question, but trust me......will be much appreciated...:(

ORACLE

Perfection Personifide
Dec 7, 2004
Tx
Robin Hood said:
Hey guys n dols...seems like i still got this f'n shoulder pain....no matter WHAT!!...I was thinking of resting for about 7-10 days....In this time though, will my muscles go smaller??....it might be a stupid question, but trust me......will be much appreciated...:(

It's hard to tell if the rest may or may not help your shoulder. I've had a nagging shoulder pain and have taken weeks off due to other injuries as well, but they still manage to surface once i start lifting again. During your rest period it might effect you in a positive way considering that your muscles grow when you rest. Obviously in such a little amount of time your not gonna notice any major changes but your feeling of well being might improve. I very well doubt that you'll lose any major or minor size differences as long as you continue to diet. What i would do in your case is to change the routine for those 7-10 days to very light weight so as to not aggravate the shoulder but instead help it to mend and build strength in it.