©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Muscle Requiring High Reps

GetSwullll

Jun 9, 2006
Any avid believers that certain muscles only respond to those high reps: traps, forearm, calves, etc

If so, through high rep sets or volume do you reach that?

Focusing on traps and calves this summer

MattG

AnaSCI VET
Mar 8, 2014
U.S.
Yeah my traps and calves dont get the same effect in the 8-12 rep range like most other muscle groups. Ive found 15-20 reps with medium weight gives me the best pump/growth for those. And even some other muscle groups like quads...8-12 on standard squats is perfect, but hack squats i need 15-20

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
That is mostly true and the likely reason is Time Under Tension. Muscles with short ROM require more reps to get the same amount of TUT. A squat takes say 5 seconds for 1 rep x 10-12 reps=50-60 seconds ideal for hypertrophy. A calf raise may take 3 second tops x10-12 reps=30-40secs...not so good. While 20 reps would be 60 seconds...very good.

Check this out: http://www.anasci.org/vB/weight-lifting-training/34864-throw-out-rep-ranges.html

Hawk

GetSwullll

Jun 9, 2006
Yeah, been so long since I hit traps lower then 20 reps that I thought maybe going heavy a bit but a pinched nerve or lack of growth not worth the try. So I asked...

Calves long of always directed high reps 20-30 and forearms just now starting to work to experience growth though I get decent build from gripping everything.

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
Yeah, been so long since I hit traps lower then 20 reps that I thought maybe going heavy a bit but a pinched nerve or lack of growth not worth the try. So I asked...

Calves long of always directed high reps 20-30 and forearms just now starting to work to experience growth though I get decent build from gripping everything.

For size I would keep them high for sure. It's also easy to pull ribs out of place when going heavy.

Hawk

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
Thanks, I'll change few things up but keep them high. Definitely want growth.

Also keep in mind to squeeze at the top of these movements. The force of a contracted muscle flexing is super high and will produce more growth than a plain contraction.

Hawk

turbobusa

Super Moderator - RIP
Nov 18, 2012
High rep muscles ? All of them . Low rep muscles? all of them.
forearm and calf muscles respond to painful long sets best . The heavy is to
get stronger so you are using more reps for heavier wt.
Really effective forearm training is excruciating need a partner and is best 3-4 times weekly if you are really trying to bring them up which you sure as hell dont need C H.. T

GetSwullll

Jun 9, 2006
I've always believed the standard training of lowering reps with heaviest weight to build strength for small period do when I get into that 8-12 rep range hitting hypertrophy that I'm still growing and using the strength to go up in weights for those set ranges.

However, most research showing that the traps with such light rom grows off the higher reps with that concentrate squeeze to build strength and growth.

So thought to confirm with Anasci fam. Seems most agree not too much reason to go heavy and low rep but rarely for shock mostly?!

robertscott

Dec 17, 2012
I find my quads won't grow on less than 12 reps of anything. Means I do all my squats, leg press etc sets of 20 reps. God it's a nightmare but it has to be done.

chrisr116

AnaSCI VET
Nov 20, 2012
This whole thread is great. I have been experimenting with different ways to get my two most stubborn parts to respond...my calves and biceps. I am actually doing 20-40 reps for calves and upwards of 20 on biceps now. It is an ongoing project.

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
This whole thread is great. I have been experimenting with different ways to get my two most stubborn parts to respond...my calves and biceps. I am actually doing 20-40 reps for calves and upwards of 20 on biceps now. It is an ongoing project.

Keeping the rest short (under 45seconds) helps with calves as the are unique in their ability to recover ATP.

Hawk

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
I find my quads won't grow on less than 12 reps of anything. Means I do all my squats, leg press etc sets of 20 reps. God it's a nightmare but it has to be done.

I find that interesting as sets of 20-25 say actually end up recruiting fast twitch fibers. Low reps we know recruit fast twitch and then mid range end up recruiting the slower gycotic type fibers, but when then exaust in that 12-15+range the body actually recruits the fast twitch fibers to do the work.

Sets much higher don't do much as since they require so few fibers and the ones that tire early in the set simply recover and start up again.

Good luck,
Hawk

robertscott

Dec 17, 2012
I find that interesting as sets of 20-25 say actually end up recruiting fast twitch fibers. Low reps we know recruit fast twitch and then mid range end up recruiting the slower gycotic type fibers, but when then exaust in that 12-15+range the body actually recruits the fast twitch fibers to do the work.

Sets much higher don't do much as since they require so few fibers and the ones that tire early in the set simply recover and start up again.

Good luck,
Hawk

that's interesting stuff. I did Poliquin's version of GVT which is the 10x10 squats with a minute rest. It's hard as hell but what you find is you actually get a little stronger by the 8th set because your body starts recruiting "emergency fibres" to help you get through it.

Best gains of my life doing that program, but you're limping for days after!

GetSwullll

Jun 9, 2006
So everyone's mostly in agreement that for traps that 15-20 or high rep range does promote growth unlike with other muscle groups in which they mat be cutting.

And I see this applied to forarms almost always but for calves opinions start to vary again.

Phoe2006

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
I like doing shrugs for reps of 20+ just lower the weight and if you've ever read my workout log you'll see I do sets above 30± for a few sets and the add weight the lowest I allow them to go usually is around 15

GetSwullll

Jun 9, 2006
Well def seems majority would agree 15 is a low rep to be hitting the Traps and most stay in 20-25 rep range.

I think on the routines when pushing 4 sets of 10-12 i'll hit the higher reps that month in the 20-30 rep range. Months pushing lower reps of 4 sets 6/ 5 sets 5 i'll hit the 15-20 rep range on traps.

Keep everyone updated!