©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Going to failure vs not going to failure.

chrisr116

AnaSCI VET
Nov 20, 2012
I am about periodization- but I feel the majority of the time following a high volume workload is a best.

Basically the more minutes of the day there is load (concentric and eccentric) the more adaptation will be required and thus provided ( given adequate rest and nutrition)

I believe in alternating between volume and strength training. Kinda of a off the cuff idea would be 1 month of strength and power style training followed by two months of high intensity high volume training with a days mixed in to failure periodically.

Here's a decent article talking about German volume training. I was introduced to the science behind this concept around 12 years ago and I've noticed that regardless of protocol it's all about actual measurable work done ie- newtons/ Jules

German Volume Training | Poliquin Article

GVT is no joke. It will make the biggest, baddest man limp to the car like a little girl, after leg day.

turbobusa

Super Moderator - RIP
Nov 18, 2012
wanna see a big time volme trained back (40 -60 sets)? Look up Roy Callender.
Fantastic back and a true golden era great. T

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
Very good points from all. For myself stength building = training for a peak in the future so no going to failure( not intentionally) at least not during deconditioning. For size /strength in bodybuilding. I know for myself going to failure is important. Not every set though as I feel there is a need for volume as well. By the way training to failure does not have to be hard on joints .
You can train to failure while coming nowhere close to maximal 1=2 3 rep sets/
attempts. While there are many crossover similartities between iron power sports and bodybuilding there are many differences as well.
I found the best way for myself in the past has been more of a power bodybuilding regimen that I evolved for myself. Failure sometimes. Never to failure at other times.Periodization and changeup. Main goal?- continuous gains
be it size, strength or cosmetic improvements.Have to say you guys really
put some good opinion and info out there. Thanks, T

tt, you bring up yet another solid point that needs to be considered and depending on your sport set extension methods become down right dangerous. Certainly you don't want forced reps on a overhead log press, clean and jerk or even a 500lb squat with bands. I would dare to say unnecessary, but then on other things such as accessory work like the dumbbell bench you might reach for a forced rep or two.

Hawk