©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Cardio

thebull2012

Feb 3, 2013
Out there
It seems that the more I read, the more I confuse myself. Everything I read contradicts the other, every person I talk to has a different answer. So at this point I'm lost as ever.

Cardio: If it takes 3500 cals burned to lose one pound of fat and I am creating a deficit of 300 cals per day via cardio and another 300 per day via diet, why is the "fat burning zone" so important?

For example: if I can burn my target cals (300) in say 20 mins, then that contradicts the "fat burning zone" which from what I've read you need to be getting 30 to 45 mins of cardio to "tap into your fat stores" So the two contradicts each other and I don't really know what to do anymore. Am I thinking too much about it?

Then to complicate things, there is HIIT. You obviously don't "tap into your fat stores" in 15 mins of HIIT. So why/how does this work? And why aren't the pros doing HIIT. Everything I read about them is one to two hours of cardio per day?

Basically I'm just wondering if I can get 300 cals burned in twenty mins, then can I cut out the 45 mins of cardio I am currently doing. If I can get by with less why not. Why do I have to "tap into the fat burning zone" if 300 cals is burned in x amount of mins?

Last edited:

thebrick

Super Moderator - RIP
Oct 28, 2012
Personally what has worked best for me was the longer lower intensity cardio. The fat came off and the muscle was spared.

From my understanding, if your heart rate gets too high, your body wants to burn a fast fuel, so its going for the glycogen in the muscle and liver first. Even muscle protein will get used.

Gj

Jan 2, 2013
I've used long slow distance and high intensity cardio for 2 different preps. They both worked. Pick one stick with it and make sure diet is on point and you are consistent and the fat will come off.

Enigmatic707

AnaSCI VET
Feb 7, 2013
It's not always calories vs calories out.

To over simplify it a bit- some times your body will do more or less work with a single calorie. So running a mile one day may take 400 calories and then a month later under different physiological circumstances it may only take 280 calories.

These are the delicate things that one has to take into account when dieting.

thebull2012

Feb 3, 2013
Out there
So what about the x amount of mins burns x amount of cals. Is it just a good rule of thumb to atleast burn 300 in a session. Or what do I need to be focusing on? Time or the cals or...???

Gj

Jan 2, 2013
If you have starting points like starting weight, calories per day,cardio per day, if you don't lose weight after a week you either increase cardio or decrease calories conssumed or both. Each week you'll more than likely have to tweak things till you reach your goal.

AtomAnt

AnaSCI VET
Oct 27, 2012
Swole-Nation
I am a fan of HIIT. I've found that LISS works well for me when performed in a fasted state, generally first thing in the AM. However, since my schedule doesn't necessarily allow for AM cardio on a regular basis, I adopted HIIT as my main form of cardio, in which case you don't need to be in a fasted state to reap the fat loss benefits since the EPOC effect of HIIT is primarily responsible for the fat loss.

Scott Stevenson wrote an article about the effect, which can be found here: http://www.scottstevensonphd.com/336ripped_EPOCv2_16-10-18.pdf

snoopy

Mar 27, 2007
I take cardio at a steady pace with heart rate elevated, and of course a good diet.

Ironbuilt

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Mûnich , Germany
I agree with snoopy
Slow and steady wins the race which is similar to the bricks reply.
Of course cardio helps warm up before the weights thus more weight used and fat loss burned.

turbobusa

Super Moderator - RIP
Nov 18, 2012
I use both when not being a cardio neglectful dumbass. I condition my self with
Hit and low during a session. Once I get my lungs/heart in reasonable shape I can switch back to low intensity at a higher level. Thanks, T

santi1177

Feb 17, 2013
I like to mix my cardio up personally. I do HIIT, slow and straight running with very little muscle loss

Ed17447

Oct 28, 2012
Tren kills my cardio so I skip tren..I got enuf lung issues from a past health scare.

Anyone else have cardio issue on trensky?

my guess would be fluid buildup, which makes the heart work harder. Deca kills my cardio and both deca and tren produce prolactin induced fluid build up.

SoccerDad

Donating Member
Jan 21, 2013
Midwest
I look at sprinters -- by definition, HIIT. They are ripped and built. I read on Mark's Daily Apple that very low intensity cardio, as in walking, might be better that long duration cardio.

I am a soccer ref. I do high school games. During the season is when I am lowest bf%, and that is all HIIT. I sprint, then walk or jog, sprint again, maybe even almost stand for a few seconds, etc.

I think that the length of time that one does LISS matters. If it is only once or twice per week, your body may not think it better start holding fat because you are trying to turn into a marathoner. But if you do it more often for a longer time period, it will probably try to adapt and keep the fat for the energy it believes it will be needing.

Old Man River

Feb 14, 2013
The BIG STATE OF TEXAS!
Bull2012. Mirror, mirror, on the wall who's the fattest of them all? Keep it simple, and pick one of slow and steady or fast and short for 2 weeks each. Write down how you feel and ask the Mirror who is the fittest of all ! Later, OMR

lycan Venom

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Nov 22, 2013
diets and cardio and muscle building are not ask exact science... that's why there are so many answers, to many variables because of the genetics.

honestly, the only way your going to find out is to experiment and or just confuse the shit out of your body by not keeping to a schedule. eratic conditions and fasting have shown to actually be more beneficial.

people here might think im stupid, but look at long distance runners from africa... skinny, look young and basically starved. fasting does something miraculous, I did it and I swear by it.

fasting, long hard physical labor, work out, and test e 250 ew+ mast e 200 ew + tren e 200 ew + anavar 50mg daily + clen daily = fast results, bye bye fat, hello new lean muscle and super human strength

just my experience... went from 230 20%bf to 160 7%bf in 8-10 weeks.

don't flame me guys, its just my honest experience and research. if I really need to cite works, ill try my best in a timely manner to find and post

Last edited: