©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Metformin regular vs. extended release

MR. BMJ

AnaSCI VIP / Donating Member
Sep 24, 2006
Anybody tell a difference between the two? I've been taking Glycomet-SR that past month and seems decent. I haven't used the regular Met since the 90's so it's hard to gauge the comparison. I know they are both met, just wondering if you guys preferred one over the other?

Taking 500mg in the am, then the second dose at night.

:headbang::action-smiley-030::action-smiley-055::)

A_Roughneck_S

Apr 17, 2017
Massachusetts, US
There should be no difference between the two, besides the theoretical risk of hypoglycemia (higher with the shorter-acting immediate-release vs the sustained release). It is also a technical possibility that individuals may respond differently to the inert ingredients (i.e. excipients) that may differ among the generic/brand manufacturers.

Also, if you are taking the extended/sustained release formulation, you should be dosing this more conveniently once a day, since the release pattern of the drug happens over a 24-hour period. For you, this would likely be 1000mg in the AM. Only the immediate release formulation requires twice daily dosing.

Whey2Heavy

May 6, 2013
The only real difference between the two IMO is in relation to possible gastric issues. The normal version is notorious for issues like diarrhea, gas, etc. but the extended release seems to be a bit easier for people to handle.

Caveman5

Feb 11, 2015
I use the gyclomet as well. Never tried E.R. version...what are your guys thoughts on only taking it before carb meals instead of the standard 1 dose in a.m 1 dose in p.m?

bbuck

Dec 28, 2007
Should be the same for most people as the time released is to help with stomach issues. And it has to build up in the liver over time to be most effective.

Southernjuice

Apr 5, 2017
Probably gonna have many disagree here but...from someone who has HAD to take metformin for years. There are all natural ingredients that way out perform metformin and without the MANY nasty sides. Your speaking with a self-induced diabetic by lifestyle. Bodybuilder/Powerlifter turned Corp man= out of shape diabetic. I'm back in the iron pile and threw that metformin in the trash by taking what works. It's a combination of 1-3 items found in most households . No not selling anything just gotta jet at the moment. I would hate for anyone to take that med not knowing what I do about it.

Southernjuice

Apr 5, 2017
I started taking turmeric and cinnamon...I threw the metformin I'd been taking for years in the trash. That combination proved more powerful than the pharmaceuticals for me...it will vary per individual. It created more insulin sensitivity and within 4 days lowered my average GR by 60 points.

jamescb77

Jun 6, 2017
No real difference to me I have used both the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk