©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

What is calories excactly

Robin Hood

Sep 18, 2004
This is what i got from a website---> Carbohydrates and protein provide about 4 calories per gram, while fat (bother saturated and unsaturated) yields about 9 calories per gram...My question now is ( it might sound stupid lol )....why not eat more fat???...thereby you KNOW you got enough calories..

recess

Nov 16, 2004
The Classroom
I am sure you will get better information from some of the others, but here goes. In order to build muscle you must have all, and in correct porportion. You will need cabs for energy. Otherwise your body will burn protien and fat. You need protien to build muscles, nothing else will do that. And you need fat, but good fats, they will assist in energy and help to break down the fat you want to loose. There is a ton of information out there on this. Spend some time to look for it. Right now I am at 40% complex carbs, 40% protien, and 20% quality fats. It is not easy to do this, but that is the decipline.

Robin Hood

Sep 18, 2004
Just as a mater of interrest.....do you get garbs, protiens and fat in tablet form??....i ask this, as it is sometimes difficult for me to get hold of the right foods...

DragonRider

Steroid Nazi
Jan 25, 2004
The shadows of your mind
What is a Calorie?
A calorie is a unit of energy. We tend to associate calories with food, but they apply to anything containing energy. For example, a gallon (about 4 liters) of gasoline contains about 31,000,000 calories.
Specifically, a calorie is the amount of energy, or heat, it takes to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water 1 degree Celsius (1.8 degrees Fahrenheit). One calorie is equal to 4.184 joules, a common unit of energy used in the physical sciences.

Most of us think of calories in relation to food, as in "This can of soda has 200 calories." It turns out that the calories on a food package are actually kilocalories (1,000 calories = 1 kilocalorie). The word is sometimes capitalized to show the difference, but usually not. A food calorie contains 4,184 joules. A can of soda containing 200 food calories contains 200,000 regular calories, or 200 kilocalories. A gallon of gasoline contains 31,000 kilocalories.

The same applies to exercise -- when a fitness chart says you burn about 100 calories for every mile you jog, it means 100 kilocalories.

Human beings need energy to survive -- to breathe, move, pump blood -- and they acquire this energy from food.
Caloric Breakdown

1 g Carbohydrates: 4 calories
1 g Protein: 4 calories
1 g Fat: 9 calories

The number of calories in a food is a measure of how much potential energy that food possesses. A gram of carbohydrates has 4 calories, a gram of protein has 4 calories, and a gram of fat has 9 calories. Foods are a compilation of these three building blocks. So if you know how many carbohydrates, fats and proteins are in any given food, you know how many calories, or how much energy, that food contains.

Last edited:

bigmark3d

Feb 5, 2004
so another words when u guys say u need like 3500 calories a day, u mean what? cause if a can of soda has 200 calories is it really more than 200 calories?

Mark

DragonRider

Steroid Nazi
Jan 25, 2004
The shadows of your mind
bigmark3d said:
so another words when u guys say u need like 3500 calories a day, u mean what? cause if a can of soda has 200 calories is it really more than 200 calories?

Mark
When we speak of calories in relation to food, we mean it in the terms that most people understand them to be. In other words 200 calories in a can of coke is 200 calories.

ORACLE

Perfection Personifide
Dec 7, 2004
Tx
i've read that on a scale a calorie is not equal to a calorie :
example 100 calories = 100 calories

When people speak of it when the interest of bodybuilding is concerned it's measured by calories = kilocalories. Which to me isn't confusing mathematically speaking but as far as eating and intake a little bit misleading.

If i am to look at a a chicken breast that has for arguements sake 250 calories is that chicken breast actually 250 calories going to my 3500 caloric intake a day? or is it calculated as more?

bigmark3d

Feb 5, 2004
thats what my question was excepted i used coke as an example, but as DR said 200 calories=200 calories. so 250 calories for a breast of chicked would be 250 calories.

Mark