©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Using machines?

michelleturner

Jun 6, 2009
Hello,

So today in gym class, someone asked me if I went to 24hour fitness. I was like yes, why? He responded with, "Oh, I saw you there" anyhow, he told me that machines aren't good to use, and I should stick to dumbbells and barbells if I want better results.

Is this true, or is it his opinion only?

barkingspider

Oct 11, 2008
MN
Well In my opinion free weights are better. Not saying machines do not have their place. When your lifting a free weight you are also balancing the weight which in turn are using more muscle fibers. You are also getting a better free range of motion where with a machine the motion is fixed. I like doing my mass excercises with free weights and isolating the muscle with machines exercises. Don't get me wrong you can still make gains from machines, but I never seen anyone become a muscle monster from using them. Depends what your goal is. Do you want to look like an ambercrombe model then do machines, you want to look like Mr. Olympia use free weights. Where do you see the bigger guys in your gym? By the machines, or at the free weights? Not to discourage you, but that is just my two cents.

ASHOP

AnaSCI VET
Aug 28, 2005
ashop.in
Hello,

So today in gym class, someone asked me if I went to 24hour fitness. I was like yes, why? He responded with, "Oh, I saw you there" anyhow, he told me that machines aren't good to use, and I should stick to dumbbells and barbells if I want better results.

Is this true, or is it his opinion only?

I prefer free weights,,especially to build your base foundation,, but machines these days are very valuable tools. I think there is nothing better than the Hammer Strength machines.

rocco-x

Jan 13, 2009
I prefer free weights,,especially to build your base foundation,, but machines these days are very valuable tools. I think there is nothing better than the Hammer Strength machines.
bump.free all the way but with my shoulders being bad i like to use a hammer seated shoulder press or the nautilus version of the same design.it allows a stricter form without chance of injury like front or rear shoulder presses.i love the hammer chest benches too.

bigpapabuff

Sep 24, 2009
it all depends on what you prefer, i feel like i get a better workout using free weights, but its probably all in my head.

jackeymartin

Dec 15, 2009
Re:

Hi,

Generally Body building supplements are necessary if you want to gain bigger muscles faster.

Thanks,

MRDevious

Jun 28, 2010
Machines concentrate on the specific muscles you are trying to work out. When you do free weights, you involve secondary muscles and other muscles that would otherwise get a workout. I personally do free weights, machines and cables when I workout any muscle group.

Jello

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 17, 2008
I prefer free weights but machines do have their place. Anyone telling you not to use them is not one you want to listen to.

MPMC

Aug 31, 2009
I use both when I train. I usually start with free weights and then move to machines. They both play an important role in training.