©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

U.S. Shuts Down Silk Road 2.0 Website

AnaSCI

ADMINISTRATOR
Sep 17, 2003
You guys that frequent this dark market sites need to reevaluate your dealings!
------------------------------

NEW YORK, Nov 6 (Reuters) - U.S. authorities said Thursday they have shut down the successor website to Silk Road, an underground online drug marketplace, and charged its alleged operator with conspiracy to commit drug trafficking, computer hacking, money laundering and other crimes.

Blake Benthall, 26, was arrested on Wednesday in San Francisco and was expected to make an initial court appearance in federal court there later on Thursday.

The charges against Benthall carry a maximum sentence of life in prison.

A lawyer for Benthall could not immediately be identified.

Silk Road 2.0 was launched late last year, weeks after authorities had shuttered the original Silk Road website in October and arrested its alleged owner, Ross Ulbricht, who went by the online alias, Dread Pirate Roberts.

"Let's be clear - this Silk Road, in whatever form, is the road to prison," Manhattan U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara, whose office is prosecuting both cases, said in a statement.

Benthall, known as "Defcon" online, became the operator of Silk Road 2.0 in December, one month after an unnamed co-conspirator launched the site, according to prosecutors.

Silk Road 2.0 provided an online bazaar where users across the world could buy and sell drugs, computer hacking tools and other illicit items, using the digital currency Bitcoin as payment, authorities said.

As of September, the site was generating at least $8 million a month in sales, they said.

The government's investigation included an undercover agent who was able to infiltrate the administrative staff of the website and interact directly with Benthall, prosecutors said.

Ulbricht, 30, has pleaded not guilty and is scheduled for trial in New York in January.

Ironbuilt

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Mûnich , Germany
You would think after one was busted that just maybe the feds were waiting for more players to open something new. .. I always thought silk 2.0 was a set up by the feds as a reverse style bust site for sellers anyhow. Thanks Anasci. Good tip.

AnaSCI

ADMINISTRATOR
Sep 17, 2003
You would think after one was busted that just maybe the feds were waiting for more players to open something new. .. I always thought silk 2.0 was a set up by the feds as a reverse style bust site for sellers anyhow. Thanks Anasci. Good tip.

This is what I thought as well!

Funny how they have been in operation for less then a year yet a Fed was able to get into the Staff and close to the owner?

Hypertrophy3

Jun 22, 2014
This is what I thought as well!

Funny how they have been in operation for less then a year yet a Fed was able to get into the Staff and close to the owner?

No doubt in my mind it was a setup. Way too convenient, don't you think? It was entrapment, plain and simple, and totally against the constitution.

Alinshop

May 20, 2013

I like your theory. It sounds like one big mess.

djpase

Oct 29, 2014
never even been on there , def a good thing that i was unaware of it. lol

Sully

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 3, 2012
Damn dude doing life that crazy

Yup, life for facilitating drug trafficking. But kill someone in this country and u get a few years of probation, and maybe a few months of house arrest.