©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Training Calves

chrisr116

AnaSCI VET
Nov 20, 2012
Guys, what type of training are ya'll doing for Calves.

I have been training them on chest day (once a week), with Seated Calf Raises and Standing Calf Raises. Each is 3 sets of 10 reps. My calves are very vascular, and the veins wrap around my shins. But, I want a bigger calf.

I have read genetics play a big role in Calf development, but was looking to see what everyone else does when training calves.

Ironbuilt

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Mûnich , Germany
High rep twice a week pauses at the top type sets
Use of leg press , toes in and out
Reverse on hack squat with toes on 4x6 piecea wood
Seated on a calve plate loaded machine
We have a machine that's a smooth movement squat with a stack
And I jam a 4x6 up against where stack travels and really rocks the calves
Lot of size is genetic , pin some tne preworkout site pin calves..

FordFan

Nov 12, 2012
I do standing raises on smith machine. 4 sets x 18-20 reps per set. High volume seems to do more for me. I think I have pretty good calf genetics, can't say the same for quads.

chrisr116

AnaSCI VET
Nov 20, 2012
A lot of good info guys. I appreciate it. Basically what I am hearing is calf work multiple times each week and high reps. Gonna go blast them today when I do my chest, and then work them twice more this week.

Enigmatic707

AnaSCI VET
Feb 7, 2013
Yeah I have found what everyone else has- VOLUME!!

I do calves 3-4 days a week and just blast through some sets maybe 7-9 sets with a few very very heavy sets towards the end around set 6-8 with a few burn out sets at the end

swolesearcher

AnaSCI VET
May 31, 2013
i used to train em once or twice a week with seated calf raises and standing calf raises, but they tend to become too big so now i`m only doing them once a week and only standing calf raises after wheels training. i guess genetic play a huge role on that. and fortunately for me i just need to train them a little bit and they grow

Last edited:

chrisr116

AnaSCI VET
Nov 20, 2012
i used to train em once or twice a week with seated calf raises and standing calf raises, but they tend to become too big so now i`m only doing them once a week and only standing calf raises wheels training. i guess genetic play a huge role on that. and fortunately for me i just need to train them a little bit and they grow

Damn, man. You must feel cursed...just kidding.

I measured mine tonight..standing flat footed, no pump, no flex and got 16-1/4" on both. The more I work em, the more vascular they get. I actually have veins running around from my shins to my calves, but no real size. My upper body grows, and my cold biceps are 18-1/2, but my lower body just gets stronger and more vascular. Guess I have 2 sets of genetics in me.

I did work them today. Seated and standing raises, tried to lower the weight and get to 15 reps for 3 sets for each exercise. I am going to work them each day I lift and give it a few months and see what happens.

swolesearcher

AnaSCI VET
May 31, 2013
Damn, man. You must feel cursed...just kidding.

I measured mine tonight..standing flat footed, no pump, no flex and got 16-1/4" on both. The more I work em, the more vascular they get. I actually have veins running around from my shins to my calves, but no real size. My upper body grows, and my cold biceps are 18-1/2, but my lower body just gets stronger and more vascular. Guess I have 2 sets of genetics in me.

I did work them today. Seated and standing raises, tried to lower the weight and get to 15 reps for 3 sets for each exercise. I am going to work them each day I lift and give it a few months and see what happens.

they should be pretty symmetryc with upper body if they are 16-1/4.. not bad! i got 16-3/4 cold on calves and same on biceps, but i work my biceps with a lot more focus and energy because they`re more hard to grow and i gotta train em harder to have the symmetry but i still need more i guess.. yeah try everything man and if it doesn`t work maybe try some igf1 on them? but IMO you`ll get a couple more inches with training... i used to train them in ronnie coleman style, if you watch at his videos you`ll see that in the seated calf raise he does a bouble contraction before the extension... try that, i had very good results..

chrisr116

AnaSCI VET
Nov 20, 2012
they should be pretty symmetryc with upper body if they are 16-1/4.. not bad! i got 16-3/4 cold on calves and same on biceps, but i work my biceps with a lot more focus and energy because they`re more hard to grow and i gotta train em harder to have the symmetry but i still need more i guess.. yeah try everything man and if it doesn`t work maybe try some igf1 on them? but IMO you`ll get a couple more inches with training... i used to train them in ronnie coleman style, if you watch at his videos you`ll see that in the seated calf raise he does a bouble contraction before the extension... try that, i had very good results..

Thanks for the help. I will look up his video and see how he does it.