©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Squats making heels hurt

LastChance

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Title pretty much says is.

I have been doing squats on a smith machine, because my current gym doesn't have a regular squat rack. I have been staying very light due to rehabing from ankle surgery. Last week the heaviest I went was 185 for 20 reps.

For whatever reason this is making my heels in both feet hurt....like a bruised kinda pain.

I figure I must be doing something wrong, but don't know what. I go as low as I can....atg as much as possible.

Any words of wisdom?

turbobusa

Super Moderator - RIP
Nov 18, 2012
Well if it were bb squats I'd say good for you. Proper squatting should be heal drive not up on your toes. Sorry to hear no place to squat in your gym.
Smith squats are one movement I never do. Probably because of developing a good natural squat groove years ago. My body always feels like it's fighting against itself with smith squats. very unnatural movement.
Many guys like em because they can use more wt by putting thier feet way out front. That is so NOT LIKE a barbell squat. I'd find alternatives to that
movement . It blows if you are even halfway serious about training.
Find a gym where they have proper equipment.
The person that benefitted most from smith machines is smith whoever the F--k that is /was. That machine has many good uses but squatting in one is a practice in self deception or in my case self destruction.
Thats just me though. Some people love them for upper leg work.
I do like them at times for some ham work.
Ok nuff high jacking... Good luck, T..

LastChance

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
I think you might be on to something there....I do put my feet slightly forward of the bar. I know I couldn't do that with a regular BB. I do it not for more weight, but because it seems to let me go deeper. I will try moving my feet back and get directly under the bar and see if it is any better that way.

I'm not trying to go heavy with them at all.....more focusing on range of motion and high rep.

I texted a friend too who told me about the same thing. I am going to try that. I was actually moving my feet a bit forward thinking I was doing something good.....

Live and learn I guess. Thanks for the reply!

Ironbuilt

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Mûnich , Germany
Hey LC Is it a total 90 degree smith or those dam 80% angled back busters if u are in it backwards?
Smith machine over time will not allow all your leg development due to no balance muscles being used. Self explanatory of course as it either goes up or down.. Check feet location etc as T explained so you are under ,not layed back like u wana blow your knees out. When in doubt do walking lunges barbell on back or db side lunges and develop those legs which force natty test levels to spike and get pumped. Let us know brutha. Btw those "curves"' gym are sloPpy.. Lol ..

jameshundson

Jun 6, 2013
Squats recruit many major muscle groups including: quadriceps, hamstrings, low and mid back, and glutes.

turbobusa

Super Moderator - RIP
Nov 18, 2012
Yes squats -real ones are the most muscle recruitment of the big compound moves. It is the one that makes the whole body respond .
The saying was always get the the big squat and the rest of the body will follow.
Pretty damn true in my exp. . good luck... T

thebrick

Super Moderator - RIP
Oct 28, 2012
Yes squats -real ones are the most muscle recruitment of the big compound moves. It is the one that makes the whole body respond .
The saying was always get the the big squat and the rest of the body will follow.
Pretty damn true in my exp. . good luck... T

true that!
And its a given to use the right shoe. Plenty of firm support. Getting those plantar tendons inflamed can effect be a bitch on the bottom of your feet.

LastChance

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
I did them again yesterday and moved my feet back under the bar.....didn't go as deep trying to stop when thighs were parallel to the floor. Even went up on the weight a little bit because I was feeling froggy lol. No pain this time. Thank you guys for all your input!