©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Rib Injury

srd1

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Feb 19, 2013
midwest usa
So allergies kicked me in the ass last week and in one of my retarded coughing fits I seperated a rib or some shit right under my right pec. Guys I have an extremly high tolerance to pain but every time I cough I swear I wanna pass the fuck out this is really fucking up my training.
I went to the chiropractor he said my back was jacked up to begin with and when i coughed it clenched it and made it seperate. He adjusted my back and told me to ice it till my next appt monday. It isnt helping.

Anyone have any suggestions or experience with this? First time Ive ever had any rib issues and I just want this shit to stop hurting.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions brothers.

Enigmatic707

AnaSCI VET
Feb 7, 2013
I've been teaching and training MMA and BJJ for years... It's more than likely a cracked rib.

Separating a rib requires a certain amount of stress that can't come from coughing. I have cracked a rib from coughing before. It takes about 6 weeks, sepperated rib will take no less than 6 fucking months- seriously

tripletotal

Mar 12, 2013
Two thoughts:

1. Chiropractors will always tell you it's a problem with your spine because that's the basis of chiropractic "medicine."

2. It is possible to separate the cartilage from the sternum and that hurts like a motherfucker. I have experienced it. Did you take any impacts or repeated pressure besides/before this coughing fit? Definitely agree that it could also be a cracked rib. I know a few people that have done that with coughing.

Last edited:

Ironbuilt

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Mûnich , Germany
Chiros are scum a the earth money sucken insurance frauders. U can go in perfectly fine and get examined then have a 15 session back crack appointment set up.
I got Tren cough so hard I stretched my ribs like a sharp pain or hot knife in your side. So I avoid ace and e.

Ironbuilt

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Mûnich , Germany
Chiros are scum a the earth money sucken insurance frauders. U can go in perfectly fine and get examined then have a 15 session back crack appointment set up.
I got Tren cough so hard I stretched my ribs like a sharp pain or hot knife in your side. So I avoid ace and e.

srd1

Feb 19, 2013
midwest usa
Ya Im not a big fan of chiroprators either but a buddy of mine said it happened to him and his chiropractor was the only way he got it fixed. Trust me I wasnt happy when dude said two weeks worth of appts to fix it and I walked out hurting just as bad as when I went in. Guess I just need to stop bein a pussy and just suck it up.

chrisr116

AnaSCI VET
Nov 20, 2012
There's probably not a whole lot you can do for it. 800mg Ibuprofin every 8 hours is probably the best bet for now. I cracked a rib once and it hurt like hell for a few weeks. Even lying down to sleep hurt if I laid on the wrong side. If it doesn't get better in a couple of weeks, go see a real doctor (M.D.)

thebrick

Super Moderator - RIP
Oct 28, 2012
I have heard of people cracking ribs from severe coughing. Not much you can do except wait to heal and keep the pain in check if that's it.

srd1

Feb 19, 2013
midwest usa
There's probably not a whole lot you can do for it. 800mg Ibuprofin every 8 hours is probably the best bet for now. I cracked a rib once and it hurt like hell for a few weeks. Even lying down to sleep hurt if I laid on the wrong side. If it doesn't get better in a couple of weeks, go see a real doctor (M.D.)

Ibuprofin tylenol have been helping it seems a little better today. Ive always heard nothing you can do bout ribs but just let it heal. Only reason I gave chiropractor a shot was on a buddies recomendation was hoping he could "reset" it but that didnt happen. :banghead: