©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Paul Heyman: At 100% health, no fighter could have touched Brock Lesnar

Phoe2006

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/...rock-lesnar-081414?cmpid=tsmtw:fscom:ufconfox

It's hard to imagine a single fighter with only eight professional fights having the kind of impact that Brock Lesnar did in his short stint with the UFC, but even now -- nearly three years after his retirement -- his name alone still attracts attention.

Lesnar came in like a hurricane and, following a tough loss in his UFC debut, he bounced back to win his next four fights in a row and as unbelievable as it may sound now, also became the UFC heavyweight champion. He defended the belt on two occasions, but despite his massive 6-foot-3 frame and muscles cascading down his body like it was chiseled out of stone, inside Lesnar was falling apart.

Diverticulitis was eroding Lesnar's intestines and it cost him over two years of his UFC career, but it really took even more away from the former champion considering all the times he fought when he wasn't aware the disease was already working against him. Following his first battle with the intestinal ailment, Lesnar fell to current UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez, but truth be told that wasn't the same fighter who took out Frank Mir and Randy Couture in the span of eight months.*

Actually, even the version of Lesnar that took out those two UFC legends wasn't the best he could have been at the time.

“IF BROCK LESNAR EVER FOUGHT HEALTHY IN THE UFC, I DON'T SEE ANY FIGHTER THAT COULD HAVE TOUCHED HIM”

— Paul Heyman

"I think with all due respect to the rest of the division, I think Cain Velasquez is by far the most dominant heavyweight in UFC today," Paul Heyman, Lesnar's longtime friend and on-air WWE advocate, told FOX Sports recently. "As a champion, I think he's a noteworthy champion because I think he's going to clean out the entire division.* That being said, Cain Velasquez stepped in the cage with Junior Dos Santos when Cain wasn't at 100 percent and he got knocked out in under 90 seconds. If that's not a demonstration of what happens when you enter the Octagon at less than 100 percent, I don't know what is. Brock Lesnar entered the Octagon against these people, Shane Carwin, even against Randy Couture, against Frank Mir, against Alistair Overeem, against Cain Velasquez at far less than 100 percent.

"Anything you saw him do, he did as an unhealthy man competing at the very top level on the face of the planet. Imagine what he could have done if he was 100-percent healthy."

Heyman has been working with Lesnar for more than a decade and was beside him when he first debuted in the WWE, which is also discussed in the wrestling veteran's new video biography titled "Ladies and Gentlemen, My Name is Paul Heyman." Very few people know Lesnar as well as Heyman does, which is why he knows for a fact what the former UFC champion was dealing with during his entire career with the promotion.*

The fact is, according to Heyman, Lesnar never stepped foot in the UFC Octagon as a fully healthy athlete. While it was the diagnosis of diverticulitis that ultimately brought his career to an end, the disease was eating away at him long before his body collapsed under the weight of it all years later.

If Lesnar had been healthy for his entire UFC career, he might still be standing as the heavyweight champion and potentially the greatest heavyweight to ever walk the Earth.

"If Brock Lesnar ever fought healthy in the UFC, I don't see any fighter that could have touched him," Heyman said.

"Now he brings outside sports entertainment credibility with him. I think if you look back at his body of work in the past 15 years, in 15 years he's won the NCAA Division I heavyweight wrestling championship, he's won the WWE title, he won the UFC title from the greatest heavyweight the UFC ever had in Randy Couture, and now he comes back to WWE and he gets the victory that no other man could possibly have. Titles are transitory, an era will begin and end at Wrestlemania, but only one man beat the streak. That was the biggest victory anybody could attain in WWE. To beat the streak, to beat the Undertaker, it was a quarter century in the making."

Now, Lesnar is the biggest star in WWE once again just like he was the biggest star in the UFC for the few years he was fighting. It's clear this is just a special kind of athlete and a special kind of superstar, often imitated, but never duplicated and maybe there will never be another like him again.

"Brock Lesnar is the single biggest attraction WWE has and rightfully so -- because he can carry it," Heyman said. "This is not someone who comes along except once in a generation."

I know someone out there has some input on this.......

I personally think he could've been the best heavyweight if he didn't have to cut as much weight as he always had to. Now I heard talk about their being a new weight class for the heavier guys but haven't heard anything more lately about it.

Rod1222

Jan 18, 2014
He was great for his time. But do you remember his first couple fights? Randy couture was farrrrrr past his prime. Frank Mir submitted him in the first round I believe. Coming from a huge Lesnar fan myself, I don't think he would have defeated cain at 100%. Cain is outstanding. Shane Carwin was outstanding and really pushed Brock to his limits. Brock was great, but not the greatest of all time.

The heavyweight division is only currently attracting more and more fighters. Much more than the times when Brock Lesnar joined.

*Bio*

Super Moderator
Oct 30, 2012
Brock certainly possesses great athletic talent...No doubt. If he had entered the UFC with 5 to 10 years experience in MMA, then he may be right. Not to lessen his accomplishments, but I think there needs to be a Super Heavy class. Considering that technically the Heavyweight class begins at 206, and the other classes have as few as ten pounds between classes and as many as fifteen. At fifteen, that cuts the heavyweights off at 221...Even if they officially started the heavyweights at 225, the cut off would be 240, which is fair. When Randy fought Brock, he weighed 225 and Brock came in at 259!

AnaSCI

ADMINISTRATOR
Sep 17, 2003
Shane Carwin was outstanding and really pushed Brock to his limits.

Yes, Shane would have easily had that fight if he would have worked a little more on his stamina. He burnt himself out in that match and could barely lift his arms.

Magnus82

Banned
Oct 29, 2012
Out in the boondocks
Brock is a personal friend of mine, so I am a bit biased. He is certainly a rare breed. He is incredibly strong and extremely quick and agile for a man of his size. Intensely driven, he would be quite a handful. Given the amount of time he actually trained MMA, I think he did very well, especially compared to guys in similar situations such as Dave Batista and Mariusz Pudzianowski. That being said, I think saying he could have been is the greatest ever may be a bit of an exaggeration. His anger issues alone could have ended up giving his problems, so it's hard to say. Like mentioned, some of his competition was less than stellar. Friend and all, my vote would have to be Fedor Emilianenko. Having a history of destroying much larger opponents such as Bob Sapp and Hong Man Choi, I don't see Brock able to hang with him. Plus he is tough as nails. Fedor V Kevin Randleman:
Fedor V Kevin Randleman - YouTube

Phoe2006

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
Brock is a personal friend of mine, so I am a bit biased. He is certainly a rare breed. He is incredibly strong and extremely quick and agile for a man of his size. Intensely driven, he would be quite a handful. Given the amount of time he actually trained MMA, I think he did very well, especially compared to guys in similar situations such as Dave Batista and Mariusz Pudzianowski. That being said, I think saying he could have been is the greatest ever may be a bit of an exaggeration. His anger issues alone could have ended up giving his problems, so it's hard to say. Like mentioned, some of his competition was less than stellar. Friend and all, my vote would have to be Fedor Emilianenko. Having a history of destroying much larger opponents such as Bob Sapp and Hong Man Choi, I don't see Brock able to hang with him. Plus he is tough as nails. Fedor V Kevin Randleman: Fedor V Kevin Randleman - YouTube
Was waiting for your response mag. I still feel if some of these bigger guys didn't actually have to cut down to the max weight it'd be much more interesting.

With the amount of mma training these other guys have he would've dominated if he had the same amount of training IMO, hell he held the belt longer than most for someone with only a wrestling background and fought some worthy opponents.

chaotichealth

AnaSCI VET
May 19, 2014
I'm tream Brock all the way. I think if what P.H. said would be completely right if Brock had more traing. The man is a beast.

gobot

Nov 1, 2013
You also have to consider the timing of this article. Summer Slam is this weekend and this is a great way to promote his match with John Cena. Don't get me wrong that guy is a bad ass mofo but everybody is beatable. Everybody.

chaotichealth

AnaSCI VET
May 19, 2014
Yes he is. And as a wrestling fan I have to say if the outcome wasn't predetermined brock would win

rAJJIN

Super Moderator
Mar 1, 2006
Brock is a bad ass. He came in
And beat up some bad ass men like they were little boys.