©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Metabolic set-point

Sully

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 3, 2012
I actually wasn't sure where to post this question as it didn't really seem to fit in any specific subforum.

After dieting down, or up for that matter, how long does one have to maintain that weight and caloric intake in order for their body to fully adapt and make that weight their new set-point?

Does anyone know of any studies that have been done on this topic? Anecdotal evidence is good, but I personally prefer a more concrete scientific analysis. I feel like the concept of a set-point is pretty well established, I just don't have a great understanding of the timelines involved or the specific metabolic processes and adaptations. Someone feel free to enlighten us.

Concreteguy

Super Moderator
Mar 12, 2013
Pa
That's a great question. Bet there is nothing out there like your looking for.

Now if I were going to guess it's between 3 and 6 months. Closer to 6. But I have nothing to back that up with.

CG

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
Great question to witch I have never heard a scientific answer. There is something in the back of my brain, but I can not dig it out currently. My experience is it is more like a month. Now, I recall it was an article on how amavar helped during dieting and resetting one's metabolism.

Hawk

Magnus82

Banned
Oct 29, 2012
Out in the boondocks
There isn't much out there on this. Here is a clip from an article I read that may a swear your question. It cites a study that be worth looking good into.

Once you have lost 10 percent of your body weight, maintain that weight for four to six months before trying to lose anymore. According to George Blackburn, M.D., and Julie Corliss, in their book, "Break Through Your Set Point," research they conducted involving over 12,000 overweight people showed that your body weight set point will be reset after this time, allowing you to make further progress with weight loss.

Phoe2006

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
Shit then staying somewhat more leaner at 265 is good after sitting around 275 for so long but I'm back on a half ass diet. Meals are being prepped etc just have a sweet tooth more often for some reason

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
There isn't much out there on this. Here is a clip from an article I read that may a swear your question. It cites a study that be worth looking good into.

Once you have lost 10 percent of your body weight, maintain that weight for four to six months before trying to lose anymore. According to George Blackburn, M.D., and Julie Corliss, in their book, "Break Through Your Set Point," research they conducted involving over 12,000 overweight people showed that your body weight set point will be reset after this time, allowing you to make further progress with weight loss.

Can you link to this study? I searched PubMed but it came up with 140 different studies with his name.

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
Not a bad read, just nothing cited or linked to to really get in depth on.

My personal feelings from having struggled with weight and weight loss my whole life was somewhere in the 6-9 month range. I don't mean to marginalize your input Hawk, but a month just doesn't seem anywhere near long enough. Although, without any hard scientific studies, I suppose it's possible it could happen that fast for some people.

More than likely, the amount of weight lost or gained probably plays a role in how long it takes the body to adapt, and in what period of time it was lost or gained probably makes a difference as well. That's all just speculation on my part though.

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
Well, I didn't spend too much time thinking about it. However, it is a bit confusing to me as I believe, you can reset Leptin and insulin sensitivity in around a month so if one was on a maintenance calorie diet, then I guess the body uses some other forms of self preservation? Dunno?

Hawk