©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Looking for advice on tapering for first meet?

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
I hope to do my first big three meet on Oct 10th and am looking for advice on how to taper for that meet. One caveat is I would like to lift even if ever so lightly the final week for mental reasons...

Hopeful PR's
SQ 600+
DL 600+
Bench 420

SPF
Class 259 for old farts

Hawk

turbobusa

Super Moderator - RIP
Nov 18, 2012
Darkside should chime in with some good advice. I'll holler back next week.
raw or????? Thanks, T....

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
tt, I am competing raw...
I was thinking of going something similar to west side, but not sure if I should just train normal up to the last few weeks or mess with intensity and volume?

Dunno?
Hawk

darksidefitness

Dec 7, 2012
Hey bro…count backward how many weeks you still have before the meet. That last week is almost no exercise, training or nothing. Just stretch, maybe some minor lift to keep the blood pumping but nothing heavy. The week previous to that should be (this is how I do it) about 85% and I do a mock mini meet 2 weeks out (Saturday or Sunday) to set my openers and seconds attempts. Three weeks before that is pretty much training with 85-95% I will focus in the big three lift from now on and I will add 4-5 assistance exercises until the week prior to the meet.

SPF is OK…make sure you know all the rules, (they will tell you anyways half hour before start the meet but at least you know what to expect) be prepare for some high and inconsistent calls. Just do what you need to do and don’t worry about anybody else. Take two set of wraps, 2 singlet’s and toilet paper. Have a lot of small snacks with you because is a long day. Breakfast is very important. Something solid but not too big (ie McDonald or BK bacon sandwich). Snickers, milk, bananas and small sandwich to carry you during the whole day. YES…you are going to screw your diet in that day.

If you have a training partner or someone that is going to help you…start training together like is a real meet. Calls, pause, passing the bar, etc. Have him put you the knee wraps. If you going alone, there is always plenty of people willing to help. Just look around before ask for help. Be ready to have fun, have a good sleep the previous night, travel the previous day if need it as well do the weigh-in ahead of time. If you not cutting not big deal but I prefer have that out of the way to eat like a bad mofo during the rest of the day. Have your supplements with you, small cooler and be ready to have fun.

Remember that gym numbers are not real numbers. Be ready for a shock. Keep you squat parallel (at least, pause your bench, and use chuck's or wrestling shoes...NOT TENNIS SHOES OR BOOTS AND FOR SURE NOT 5 FINGERS) Good luck!!