©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Lifting with no shoes

Rory

Banned
Sep 29, 2012
First time tonight on my late night workout, decided to take the shoes off and did deadlifts and loved it. Went thru my whole shoulder routine without shoes on.

Sure the gym would bitch in the daytime hours but Im thinking to rearrange my schedule for this if I have too. Felt great! :love1:

AtomAnt

AnaSCI VET
Oct 27, 2012
Swole-Nation
I've though about this, but never did it. My gym doesn't care if you go barefoot and people do it all the time.

How do you think it would feel with squats? My concern is stepping back with the bar and losing stability and having a whole lotta weight pressing down on your feet without cushioning.

AnaSCI

ADMINISTRATOR
Sep 17, 2003
I have the full gym in my house and have been lifting without shoes for years. Much more comfortable and seems to give better balance and overall control.

Rory

Banned
Sep 29, 2012
I'll do legs today so I'll see on the squats but like Anasci stated, really does seem to give greater overall balance and control.

audix2359

Nov 24, 2012
I prefer just socks for deadlifting, but shoes for bench as that helps me dig in with my feet. For those at commercial gyms, I think those aqua shoes or aqua socks would work and you can get them from Amazon for under $10.

Ironbuilt

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Mûnich , Germany
Man do u guys got flat feet like Fred Flinstone? What a vibram?
I got a high arch and it would strain the bejesus out of these clodhoppers I was born in. Took a lot of copper to make my first set a shoes hang on moms wall
Wasn't jawpaw on Smokey and bandit movie..or movie Convoy?

thebrick

Super Moderator - RIP
Oct 28, 2012
I have seen quite a few over the years squating and deadlifting with bare feet. Very effective

Magnus82

Banned
Oct 29, 2012
Out in the boondocks
Vibrams are a brand of fingered shoes. I actually use Filla's Skel-e-toes, and love then for deads and squats. I routinely go over 500# on both and have had no issues with them whatsoever. And yes, my feet are flat as pancakes.

Man do u guys got flat feet like Fred Flinstone? What a vibram?
I got a high arch and it would strain the bejesus out of these clodhoppers I was born in. Took a lot of copper to make my first set a shoes hang on moms wall
Wasn't jawpaw on Smokey and bandit movie..or movie Convoy?

Bfit247

May 21, 2013
I have a pair of vibrams. I put them on when I work legs. My feet are super sensitive... 8 have to have some protection! I stopped doing deadlifts. I only do rack pulls. But when I did deads you are closer to the ground the shoes. I feel like you can pull harder and less as high!

ASHOP

AnaSCI VET
Aug 28, 2005
ashop.in
First time tonight on my late night workout, decided to take the shoes off and did deadlifts and loved it. Went thru my whole shoulder routine without shoes on.

Sure the gym would bitch in the daytime hours but Im thinking to rearrange my schedule for this if I have too. Felt great! :love1:

I prefer shoes myself. Especially after dropping a 45lb plate on my bare big toe.

FamBam209

Apr 29, 2013
Cali
Yea ima have to agree w Alin and thT ill stick to my boots i wear from goin to gym straight from work bc without the steel toe i def would of crushd my toes plenty of times w stupid plates

rAJJIN

Super Moderator
Mar 1, 2006
I want to see the 500 # bench and squat
With " finger shoes" lol

Shoes for me, always.
Do not want others sticking there nasty bare feet all
Over the gym either.

FordFan

Nov 12, 2012
Shoes here. There are some guys at my gym that wear socks only. To me, it's just not clean. I wouldn't want to walk around in my socks on the dirt and grit.