©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Insecurity makes for a better athlete!

chicken_hawk

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 2, 2013
Disclaimer: All of Hawk's threads are merely his point of view and are meant for discussion and entertainment only. He is not licensed in anything and heading his advice could lead to loss of limb or even death :action-smiley-041:

So, as one who has dealt with many an insecurities and confidence issues, some to this day I have come to realize the role they have/do play in my life. Insecurity causes one to feel the need to prove themselves, particularly in some way that can be measured. A trophy, a record or a dollar amount are all ways that a person can try to validate themselves. Hell, insecurity keeps the red convertible sports car market alive and well.

Being involved with bodybuilding has allowed me an insider view into the minds of many athletes and for many of them they measure themselves by their accomplishments on stage or wherever. That insecurity drives them train hard and eat well and use more Rx than there more secure peers.

In my case when I did my first show I didn't have a whole lot going for me, but felt like I had a lot to prove. I was highly motivated to do well and as a result I won both of my classes. By my second show, my relationship with my wife had improved as well as my business and my faith so much of my self esteem was coming from other places. My attitude for my first show was totally different from my second show in which I was less concerned on how my placement reflected on me as an individual.

I am not saying that everyone is motivated by insecurity who competes, there can be a variety of strong motives. However insecurity and low self esteem are what motivated to get my ass in the weight room when I was a teenager and still motivate people to excel to this day.

Hawk