©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Injury

DragonRider

Steroid Nazi
Jan 25, 2004
The shadows of your mind
I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later. I have been pumping iron for 27 years now and I have never had a single injury.
Last night I was doing chest and I warmed up the same way I always do. The only difference was I used 205 for my second warmup set instead of 185. On my first work set I piled 315 on the bar and as soon as I started pushing it off of my chest, I felt something pull loose and my right pec bunched up in a knot. Somehow I was still able to rack the bar, which is a good thing because I work out at home and most of my life I have worked out alone. That freaked me out, so I immediately went to the emergency room to see if I was going to have to have surgery to reattach the muscle.
The doctor says it was a minor tear and that it would basically heal itself by reattaching to the muscle with scar tissue. Oddly enough there is very little pain. I was sent home to ice the area and prescribed some ibuprofen for pain and to reduce swelling. Today the muscle is all swollen up and my outer pec and upper arm are purple. I'm going to be forced to take time off to heal up which I hate doing and I was making good progress lately. This will also cause me to start back slow on my chest which I also hate doing. Freaken injuries!

tee

AnaSCI VET
Feb 6, 2004
USA
That sucks! I hope you feel better soon. I can barely lift my right arm today and all I did was sleep on it wrong. Gee, aren't the golden years swell? :D

TexasCreed

One Cocky S.O.B.
Oct 6, 2004
Texas
damn, sorry pops, i mean dragon. shit, im already hurt as well, my right rhomboid is giving me hell.

mer707

Nov 15, 2004
sorry to hear that dragon, were you training intense or what? if you were able to rack the weight im guessing it wasnt too heavy for you.

DragonRider

Steroid Nazi
Jan 25, 2004
The shadows of your mind
mer707 said:
sorry to hear that dragon, were you training intense or what? if you were able to rack the weight im guessing it wasnt too heavy for you.
That's the surprising thing. It is a weight I've managed before. The only thing I can think is I slightly missed the groove that my usual lift falls into. It doesn't take much sometimes. That is why form is paramount.

W

wolfyEVH

sorry to hear that DR......it couldve been a lot worse!! you got lucky!!

DragonRider

Steroid Nazi
Jan 25, 2004
The shadows of your mind
wolfyEVH said:
sorry to hear that DR......it couldve been a lot worse!! you got lucky!!
Don't know about that.

What's that old saying? God watches over little children and fools.

I should have had a spotter. My wife and daughters have all been trained to spot me. They couldn't actually lift the weight, but they can help me get it to the saftey catches or pull one end to the floor so the weights fall off if I get trapped. It was 1100pm and my wife was at work and my daughter was sleeping.

Last edited:

TexasCreed

One Cocky S.O.B.
Oct 6, 2004
Texas
A dark day dragon, you hast put a dark cloud over us all. hang your head in shame. lol, j/k dont get emotional on me.

DragonRider

Steroid Nazi
Jan 25, 2004
The shadows of your mind
TexasCreed said:
A dark day dragon, you hast put a dark cloud over us all. hang your head in shame. lol, j/k dont get emotional on me.

I know what your saying, but in retrospect it was a stupid thing to do.

I'm going to try to post some pictures of the damage when I get them developed. My right pec is swollen to about twice the normal size and the bruising looks horrible.

About 20 years ago there was a very pretty female bodybuilder who was killed when she couldn't get a weight off of her when she was training alone. I wish I could remember her name.
Anyway I would hate to see a newbie make this kind of mistake.

Last edited:

tee

AnaSCI VET
Feb 6, 2004
USA
When I was young and taking Karate, we had a gym in the basement. I went down after my training to lift and there was a kid trapped on the bench with the bar across his neck. He was purple and damn near dead when I lifted it off of him. Ever since then, I NEVER use collars when benching so I can dump the weights in case something happens and Im alone.

BIOHAZZARD66

Nov 2, 2004
Downeast Maine
Yeah injuries sukk. Sounds like u'll work throught it pretty quick. Must be a nice color purple ta wear on yer pec..LOL. I too train at home. Gotta killer gym I built in my basement. I never thought I'd like trainin at home or alone after trainin Golds Venice for years. But I love it! Can get done in 45min what took me an hour and 15 in Golds. Spotter U ask? I hava 190lb. St. Bernard who spots me..LOL Nice motivation about trainin alone ..."Lift or Die"

TexasCreed

One Cocky S.O.B.
Oct 6, 2004
Texas
yeah i got this pretty sweet upscale apartment complex gym, usually there are people there but some of these guys im unsure if they could help me out. and there the guys who lift 1 rep and leave so i end up being alone anyways.

DragonRider

Steroid Nazi
Jan 25, 2004
The shadows of your mind
DragonRider said:
About 20 years ago there was a very pretty female bodybuilder who was killed when she couldn't get a weight off of her when she was training alone. I wish I could remember her name.

Just remembered. It was Shelley Gruwell. She used to couples pose with Tony Pearson back in the 80's.

Attachments

• mf4407.jpg
    mf4407.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Blackbird

Flatpicker
Sep 19, 2004
usa
My friend had that same injury, nasty looking bruise. He said it looks a lot worse then it feels. Good luck getting back. And to think I felt old at 33 doing this. HaHa

DragonRider

Steroid Nazi
Jan 25, 2004
The shadows of your mind
Blackbird said:
My friend had that same injury, nasty looking bruise. He said it looks a lot worse then it feels. Good luck getting back. And to think I felt old at 33 doing this. HaHa
Blackbird. How long was it before he could workout chest again? I don't want to lose too much.

I agree. It looks horrible. It doesn't really feel that bad.

TexasCreed

One Cocky S.O.B.
Oct 6, 2004
Texas
it'll work itself better. like in my other thread i had some weights drop on my leg due to some numnuts not placing the bar on the hooks correctly. thread is called "always double check the weights" damn newbs.