©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

How do i keep blood sugar levels normal when hypoglycemic and on a high protein low c

xchewbaccax777

Aug 13, 2013
So my wife is trying to get on 5 meals a day with a fitness plan and the high protein low carb approach is ideal but she'll get a sugar crash and start shaking and feel faint if she doesn't have enough carb or sugar between meals. What can she eat that is healthy and keep her blood sugar levels normal and not dropping while trying to be on a high protein low carb diet. She usually takes glucose tabs when she feels shaky and of course after she eats something with sugar in it she feels just fine? Thank you for your time brothers

dorian777

Apr 28, 2013
So my wife is trying to get on 5 meals a day with a fitness plan and the high protein low carb approach is ideal but she'll get a sugar crash and start shaking and feel faint if she doesn't have enough carb or sugar between meals. What can she eat that is healthy and keep her blood sugar levels normal and not dropping while trying to be on a high protein low carb diet. She usually takes glucose tabs when she feels shaky and of course after she eats something with sugar in it she feels just fine? Thank you for your time brothers

Since she's used to eating sugar, it's going to take some time for the body to adjust to the new eating pattern. I would gradually cut sugars down, but never completely out. How low carbs are we talking? Maybe include some pineapple, bananas, oats, etc. around her workout and early in the day and zero carbs the last couple meals? Anything less than 100g carbs per day is impossible for me.

Ironbuilt

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Mûnich , Germany
Does she have a blood glucose monitor? On any medications. Being hypoglycemic so easily would be something of concern to me. Consuming 15 grams of a simple carb.
Tsp honey
5 candies
Can of real soda
Glucose tabs to name a few. .
Buy a tester. Hypo is life threatening left untreated.

AtomAnt

AnaSCI VET
Oct 27, 2012
Swole-Nation
In addition, L-Glutamine supplementation will help regulate blood sugar and prevent hypoglycemia. She may consider adding some throughout the day to keep blood sugar stable

Sully

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 3, 2012
Try slowly swapping out the simple carbs/sugars for more complex, slower digesting carbs as well. It'll help stabilize her blood sugar over time and prevent the up and down roller coaster. Also, add plenty of fiber to her diet. Fiber helps to slow digestion down and regulate A1C. If she drinks shakes, add a fiber supplement to her shakes. Pesonally, I like Ultra Fiber DX from Barndad, or Raw Fiber from Garden of Life. Raw Fiber uses stevia for a little added sweetness, and is mostly soluble fiber.

If u slowly bring down her daily sugar intake over a period of a few weeks, she should be able to make the high protein, lower carb diet work for her.

thebrick

Super Moderator - RIP
Oct 28, 2012
Try slowly swapping out the simple carbs/sugars for more complex, slower digesting carbs as well. It'll help stabilize her blood sugar over time and prevent the up and down roller coaster. Also, add plenty of fiber to her diet. Fiber helps to slow digestion down and regulate A1C. If she drinks shakes, add a fiber supplement to her shakes. Pesonally, I like Ultra Fiber DX from Barndad, or Raw Fiber from Garden of Life. Raw Fiber uses stevia for a little added sweetness, and is mostly soluble fiber.

If u slowly bring down her daily sugar intake over a period of a few weeks, she should be able to make the high protein, lower carb diet work for her.

Totally agree! :headbang: Slow burning, hi-fiber, low insulin inducing carbs to avoid the sugar spike and crash that comes after.

lycan Venom

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Nov 22, 2013
Pixy stix. Gets absorbed fast and slowly cut it out of diet. Pure dextrose.

Ironbuilt

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Mûnich , Germany
Glucophage is harmless

Yeah it is. LOL.

Possible serious side effects of Glucophage include shortness of breath even with mild exertion; swelling or rapid weight gain; fever; chills; body aches; or flu symptoms. Less serious side effects include headache or muscle pain, weakness or mild nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, gas, or stomach pain. This is not a complete list of side effects, and others may occur.

Take a whole bottle tell me then. LOL.

Last edited:

Alinshop

May 20, 2013
I think she could divide her carbs up evenly through out her 5 meals to keep her blood levels even. Sweet potatoes, greek yogurt, oats etc..