©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

How accurate are these in our sport

Phoe2006

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
So I went in to get my card for my new gym and had a bf% analysis done with a handheld segmental body fat analyzer's. I was curious as to his accurate these things were?

Sully

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 3, 2012
Not very accurate at all. My home scale has one built in, and I've used a handheld model the same day, and the readings differed from each other by almost 15%. They can be thrown off by your current hydration level, or lack thereof. Plus, the handheld models are mainly reading your upper body percentage, where the floor models read mostly your lower body percentage.

Now, even though they might not be accurate, they can still be useful. It's like trying to cut weight and your scale reads 10 pounds too high. It's not the actual number that matters. Just as long as the number keeps going down steadily, u know you're making good progress. Just keep a log of the measurements over a period of time and watch the trend.

Ironbuilt

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Mûnich , Germany
Theres a shit load in this pile phoe. Or there should be. .
But if u felt good by what they read you are one step to olympian status.

Attachments

• junk_ufgy.jpg
    junk_ufgy.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Phoe2006

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
Well its obvious that I didn't otherwise I wouldn't have started this thread. cuz it said what I thought to be around 7% high.

xmen1234

Dec 6, 2012
Your Mom's House
I think the only "real" accurate BF% testing is a hydro static body fat test tank.

My scale at home says I am obese (BMI 33.1). I'm 5-3, 187 with abs showing. lol

AtomAnt

AnaSCI VET
Oct 27, 2012
Swole-Nation
I think the only "real" accurate BF% testing is a hydro static body fat test tank.

My scale at home says I am obese (BMI 33.1). I'm 5-3, 187 with abs showing. lol

Bod Pods are also highly accurate... Check around your area. Usually it is like $30-$50 to get a bod pod analysis.

Calipers are more accurate than bioeletrical impedance.

Phoe2006

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
Yea mine said 25% :eek::eek::eek::eek: and I've been doing research and like someone said earlier that they can fluctuate due to water in the body. Just wanted to see where I was sitting I was under the impression he was going to pull out some calipers but nope. I still don't see how just punching in ur weight and height into what seems to be a advanced calculator and holding it out in front of you actually gets a good reading. I know for me personally the only place that really holds any fat is my torso not my legs or arms.

One would think that these were made for people with little to no muscle to account for.

turbobusa

Super Moderator - RIP
Nov 18, 2012
These were found to be very inaccurate years ago. One thing people forget
is inter muscular fat. I remember al beckles showed a fairly
high single digit reading with that method. He was hydro tested at the same time and came up slightly under 2%. That was at the time he passed out on stage .
He was just freaky ripped for then or now. Don't they have a setting on there
to test IQ as well through impedence? LOL.. Phoe pay no heed to that BS.
See thats what you get for going to a health club you don't fit in in that enviorment. You are a GYM guy dude. Don't you forget it.. thanks, T...

turbobusa

Super Moderator - RIP
Nov 18, 2012
Best is mirror. if you are paper thin all the way to the dick root then you are
in singles.. LOL... T

AtomAnt

AnaSCI VET
Oct 27, 2012
Swole-Nation
Yea mine said 25% :eek::eek::eek::eek: and I've been doing research and like someone said earlier that they can fluctuate due to water in the body. Just wanted to see where I was sitting I was under the impression he was going to pull out some calipers but nope. I still don't see how just punching in ur weight and height into what seems to be a advanced calculator and holding it out in front of you actually gets a good reading. I know for me personally the only place that really holds any fat is my torso not my legs or arms.

One would think that these were made for people with little to no muscle to account for.

Mine at home has an "athlete" mode and I think it is much more accurate. it takes into consideration muscle, body water and bone mass as a percentage of total body weight and give your a reading for those and then spits out the body fat percentage. Mine says I am 6.3% which I would say is pretty close...

Phoe2006

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
These were found to be very inaccurate years ago. One thing people forget
is inter muscular fat. I remember al beckles showed a fairly
high single digit reading with that method. He was hydro tested at the same time and came up slightly under 2%. That was at the time he passed out on stage .
He was just freaky ripped for then or now. Don't they have a setting on there
to test IQ as well through impedence? LOL.. Phoe pay no heed to that BS.
See thats what you get for going to a health club you don't fit in in that enviorment. You are a GYM guy dude. Don't you forget it.. thanks, T...

I know t but this is where my fiance knows people and I figured it would be the best place for her after I went back to work to continue to workout. Seeing as how I'm probably gonna be on the road for the next 3-5 years or til the house is completely paid off.

Phoe2006

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
Also t I wanted to join this gym right around the corner that is owned by one of the top benchers around not gonna say his name on here but pm me if you'd like. I really wanted to join so I didn't have to deal with all the pansy ass weekday warriors that think its only upper body day every day but I had to take in account for my gal.

turbobusa

Super Moderator - RIP
Nov 18, 2012
No totally was funnin ya big guy. I have been stuck training in "clubs" here and there over the years. Training is better than no training. That makes sense
for your lady.keep iron as a base in life and all will fall into place.
We are permanantly "altered" where that is an essential.
Good luck on everything and the changes Phoe. Your bud , T...

Phoenixk2

AnaSCI VET
Dec 2, 2013
Gyms use those to trick people into thinking they're fat. This way the stupid will sign up for personal training with a trainer there.