©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Help me buy a welding machine

Sully

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 3, 2012
I've always wanted to learn to weld. Struck an arc for the first time on a buddies cheapo welder last week, and now I've got the bug to learn. I started shopping around for a decent beginners machine, but I'm looking for some more input.

Here's the issue: I rent, and am limited to 120v. 240 is not an option for me. I can switch out to a larger breaker if need be, I already checked that. I don't see myself welding anything thicker than 3/16", but I guess 1/4" is a possibility. I think I want a flux-core and MIG machine.

I've looked at the Lincoln 140 at Lowes, and it seems like a good option. The price looks fair, Lincoln is supposed to be good quality, and it gets good reviews online. It says it can weld up to 5/16", but I'm betting that's very optimistic.

Does anyone have any insight that will help me out? I know 115 machines are limited, but this is my first machine and is mainly just for learning how to set things up and proper welding technique.

Would saving the money and buying a Campbell Hausfeld machine from Menards be a better way to go? They run about $220, and the reviews are 50/50. I wasn't sure if it was worth spending $500 on a machine to learn on.

Last edited:

Magnus82

Banned
Oct 29, 2012
Out in the boondocks
I'd get the Lincoln. I use to teach industrial tech and it's the one I personally own. Well worth the extra money. Mig is a Super clean weld and the Flux core welds plenty thick for most applications. I loaned my skid steer out to a friend and he broke the hydraulic pistons off the bucket and welded them both back on with it. Out of the 20+ units I had in school as well as my personal, I've never had a problem. Be sure to prep your metal well before you weld, get a good 4 1/2" grinder, and an automatic mask and you'll be welding no time.

chrisr116

AnaSCI VET
Nov 20, 2012
Like Magnus said, I'd go with a Mig to learn on. I taught myself on a 300 dollar unit from lowes. Maybe go with a stick welder later, if you feel you really need it. Stick welders throw alot more burning crap at you, where Mig welder's are very user friendly. They also don't warp the metal your working with as bad as you can with a stick welder. Also, be careful about using extension cords with a mig. They draw so many amps, you will need like a 10ga cord or something really thick and robust. Just my amature advice. Good luck and have fun. I love welding deer stands and stuff like that. Very theraputic.

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
So, after doing some more research, I'm leaning more toward the Hobart Handler 140. Bout the same price as the Miller or Lincoln units. It's actually the only one of the 3 that is made in the U.S. All the others are made in Mexico or China. The updated Hobart model has an all cast aluminum feed assembly, where the Miller and Lincoln both have a bunch of plastic in their feed assemblies. And Hobart is owned by Miller, and shares some of the same parts.

The warranty on the Hobart isn't as good as the others, 1/3/5 versus 5 years. But, the reviews on the Hobart are actually better than either the Lincoln or Miller. The Hobart has only 1 negative review out of 139 on Amazon. The blue and red machines have many more negative reviews. It looks like a pretty solid machine to me.

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
On a related topic, breakers. The breaker for my garage outlets are only 15 amp. Can I just switch those out to 30 amp breakers from Lowes and be good to go? Do I need to be concerned about the size of the wiring going to the outlets from the breakers? Is there a safety/fire concern with doing this?

Magnus82

Banned
Oct 29, 2012
Out in the boondocks
On a related topic, breakers. The breaker for my garage outlets are only 15 amp. Can I just switch those out to 30 amp breakers from Lowes and be good to go? Do I need to be concerned about the size of the wiring going to the outlets from the breakers? Is there a safety/fire concern with doing this?

No, you cannot do that. A 15 amp breaker and circuit will have 15amp outlets on it as well as 14g wire. A 20amp breaker and circuit will have 20amp rated outlets as well as 12g wire. 30 amp are usually 220v and require 10g wire.

BigBob

Nov 10, 2012
You'd defenitly need to check the wire size. Especially if going from 15-30 amps. I've got a Lincoln mig and it works on a 20amp outlet. You may be able to go to 20 without re-wiring.

Magnus82

Banned
Oct 29, 2012
Out in the boondocks
You'd defenitly need to check the wire size. Especially if going from 15-30 amps. I've got a Lincoln mig and it works on a 20amp outlet. You may be able to go to 20 without re-wiring.

Same here, mine will actually rum on a 15 amp without an extension cord. 20amp I have run 25' 12g extension without issue. Also take into consideration their "duty cycle". They are most likely the same for both units. This is the % of time you can run it within a 10min time period. The light duty ones are usually 20% which means in a 10min time frame you can weld for 2 min before it shuts down.

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
Same here, mine will actually rum on a 15 amp without an extension cord. 20amp I have run 25' 12g extension without issue. Also take into consideration their "duty cycle". They are most likely the same for both units. This is the % of time you can run it within a 10min time period. The light duty ones are usually 20% which means in a 10min time frame you can weld for 2 min before it shuts down.

Cool, thanx for the heads up guys. Guess I'm not switching out breakers. It sound like I might be fine with a 15 amp breaker, though. I suppose as long as I'm not welding anything thick or setting the voltage all the way up I won't be pulling enough current to trip the breaker.

Thanx for the direction, guys.

chaotichealth

AnaSCI VET
May 19, 2014
If it's something you really want to do. Get the better equipment so you don't have to upgrade later. With a good set up and a flat bed you can make some real money on pipeline jobs. You have to be a go getter and chase the work. But 100-200k a year is do able

Sully

Dec 3, 2012
Naw. This is strictly going to be a hobbyist level endeavor for me. I have some things I want to build, a custom project truck that needs some work, and a motorcycle that I want to build some pieces for. Maybe, if I get decent at it, I might progress to making small things for friends. But, even that is a ways off.

Right now, it's just about learning the basics of technique and settings. At the moment, I'm leaning toward the Hobart Handler 140, but the Longevity Migweld 140 is getting some consideration as well.