©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

"Hack Squat machine" question...

shamrock10

Aug 30, 2004
i use the hack squat machine at 24 hour fitness to do my squats...i dont do it the regualr way cuz i dont have a belt and dont weant to mess up my back. im currently doing about 500lbs...

does the hack squat machine still count when im doing 500lbs? or is it a lot easier than the regular way and my 500lbs doesnt count...

W

wolfyEVH

hack squat = pussy. you should know its obviously easier that real squats. First of all, the bar is lighter because it is on that pully system, and secondly, it limits your range of motion to go straight up and down. That is not natural as the body naturally moves in an arc doing normal squats. Since it limits motion to only straight up and down, you can't really work the stabilizer muscles and the rest of your body. I doubt you could throw up 400lbs regular squats.

EDIT:

sorry, thought this was smith machine squats you were talkin about...my bad!!! Hack squats are still a very unnatural movement though. You can NOT replace real free weight squats.

Last edited:
W

wolfyEVH

btw....i don't feel a belt is needed....for any lifts...unless you are a hardcore PW trying to do a max. Then i'd suggest a belt and knee wraps.

heavy

Aug 6, 2004
[email protected]
Wolfys dead on as usual...u dont need a belt unless your doing real heavy deads, or other real heavy powerlifts, and are an advanced trainee.

DragonRider

Steroid Nazi
Jan 25, 2004
The shadows of your mind
shamrock10 said:
i use the hack squat machine at 24 hour fitness to do my squats...i dont do it the regualr way cuz i dont have a belt and dont weant to mess up my back. im currently doing about 500lbs...

does the hack squat machine still count when im doing 500lbs? or is it a lot easier than the regular way and my 500lbs doesnt count...

I guess I'm going to be the oddball. If we were talking about leg presses I would agree. But, hack squats are brutal and they seem to hit that teardrop just above your knee much better than regular squats. I squat because I don't have access to a hack squat machine. 500 on hack squats is awsome there is nothing easy about that.
When you say hack squats I am assuming you are talking about this.
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/SLHackSquat.html

W

wolfyEVH

DragonRider said:
I guess I'm going to be the oddball. If we were talking about leg presses I would agree. But, hack squats are brutal and they seem to hit that teardrop just above your knee much better than regular squats. I squat because I don't have access to a hack squat machine. 500 on hack squats is awsome there is nothing easy about that.
When you say hack squats I am assuming you are talking about this.
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/SLHackSquat.html

oh shit...i thought he was talkin about smith machine squats....lol