©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Full Extension Lifting

GetSwullll

Jun 9, 2006
I've seen in a lot of videos and some guys in the gym a different way of lifting. They don't full extend through the motion of the exercise. It's kinda like they cut it in half. I'm not sure if this is good or not. I'm used to going through the full motion but especially on presses and whatnot i see these guys going about half way through. Is there a benefit to this!?!

oldfella

Jul 31, 2007
Some will argue that this keeps more tension on the muscle. But it can lead to weak points in your lifts. I have always been a full range of motion trainer. I do not lock out my joints (elbows, knees) but I go all the way down and all the way back up. Unless you are utilizing the matrix style of training IE 21's for curls etc. But even then they use a full range of reps to finish. Do your self a favor and train wth full range.

ASHOP

AnaSCI VET
Aug 28, 2005
ashop.in
GetSwullll said:
I've seen in a lot of videos and some guys in the gym a different way of lifting. They don't full extend through the motion of the exercise. It's kinda like they cut it in half. I'm not sure if this is good or not. I'm used to going through the full motion but especially on presses and whatnot i see these guys going about half way through. Is there a benefit to this!?!

some people dont lock out,,,personal preference I beleive. I like to squeeze at tp of contraction.

oldtestman

Sep 28, 2007
This method allows you to use more weight. I guess, occasionally, this has some benefit. Most guys I see using this method are in a rut - that's how they always do it. Cutting back on poundages and using better form would (in their minds) be less impressive. Some guys just need to have a big noisy bunch of plates clanging around.

Over the years, I've seen less progress with the partial rep guys. I'm not the smartest or the best lifter, but I have been around a long time. I can almost tell you who will be making the most progress, just by watching them train a few times. Heavy (proper) weights with good form would always get my vote. Of course, don't get in a rut. There is a place for "cheating", negatives, and other plateau breakers.

ASHOP

AnaSCI VET
Aug 28, 2005
ashop.in
oldtestman said:
This method allows you to use more weight. I guess, occasionally, this has some benefit. Most guys I see using this method are in a rut - that's how they always do it. Cutting back on poundages and using better form would (in their minds) be less impressive. Some guys just need to have a big noisy bunch of plates clanging around.

Over the years, I've seen less progress with the partial rep guys. I'm not the smartest or the best lifter, but I have been around a long time. I can almost tell you who will be making the most progress, just by watching them train a few times. Heavy (proper) weights with good form would always get my vote. Of course, don't get in a rut. There is a place for "cheating", negatives, and other plateau breakers.

exactly,,,there is a time and a place for it.