©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Finding a training partner

Sully

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 3, 2012
Lately I'm starting to feel like I could really use a training partner. My focus and intensity are still high, I would just really like to push myself on some lifts(benchpress, etc). A dependable training partner can be invaluable for lifting heavy, and even providing a little extra motivation.

I just really don't have any idea how to go about finding one. At some point in the near future I'll be switching gyms, which won't help my cause any. Plus I'm not very sociable when I'm training, as I try to ignore the distractions and focus on the work. I thought about posting an ad on Craigslist, but I'm pretty sure that would just attract a bunch of closeted homosexuals looking for a hookup. Just not interested in dealing with that bs.

Any ideas guys? Is this something just kinda happens organically, or has anyone had any success actively asking around and looking for a training partner? Any stories, suggestions or insights would be helpful.

Oregonstrong

Dec 24, 2014
I feel you brother. I am a lot like you, not very sociable in the gym. I always have headphones on, hoodie up, and staring at the ground in total concentration preparing for my next set. Although I also believe that a training partner can help bring you to the next level. Spotter for heavy sets and forced negatives and other things you can't do training by yourself. Plus on top of that it would be huge competitive motivation.

I have tried to find training partners myself by getting friends involved but they never seem to be as crazy as me about the lifestyle as me and quickly give up. I would love to find someone like the brothers that are on this board that will go as hard as me and never miss a workout. LMK how it goes brother and looking forward to others responses to your question.

lycan Venom

Nov 22, 2013
Best bet is to ask on here or pm or somewhere there are like minded people.
Maybe post a big ass poster on the front door/window of the gym.

Or even take up being a personal trainer to an aspiring competitive body builder and then choose who you like to work out with. You get paid and work out lol.

kubes

AnaSCI VET
Aug 23, 2013
Los Angeles
I am not social at the gym till I get on the treadmill. That's what I tell people that try to talk to me when I am training. Once you do that and start to get to know people it's almost impossible to get away from training with a partner. I used to really like training alone and know we have a whole group of us that train together

Jjyaya

Dec 24, 2014
I train with my roommate but he is light years ahead of me as far as weight and experience so some days we train together, some days I don't, because I have to re rack or take his 3-4 plates off so I can lift my 1-2 haha

Jjyaya

Dec 24, 2014
I would say it's all luck man, if you're in the gym and needing a spot ask a guy who looks like he knows what's up to spot you or vise versa, than go from there.

srd1

Feb 19, 2013
midwest usa
Youll go thru 20 training partners to get 1 good one maybe more but atleast 20....good luck brother

Big-John

AnaSCI VET
Oct 25, 2012
I wish you the best of luck sully. I've always had a hard time finding someone. To bad we don't live close.

thebrick

Super Moderator - RIP
Oct 28, 2012
Finding a good training partner is very tough. I've been training over 40 years and I can count the good ones I have had on one hand. Its not only about training style/philosophy, its also about finding someone who meshes with your personality and training time of day. If you see someone who is always in the gym the same time you are and are training like you might and they seem halfway personable, ask for a spot and tell them you would be happy to reciprocate if they need one. Sometimes that opens doors.

slide

AnaSCI VIP
Oct 26, 2012
Finding a solid training partner was tough for me...I did have one guy I trained with back in the day...but, it ended up being a few days a week 'on' and a few days 'off'...At first it was great, we'd meet at the gym, warm up and go...but that slowly chg'd over time, unfortunately.

So, since then (better part of 10+ years), I just train alone (and prefer it now). I have forged enough relationships in the gym to where if/when I need a spot or some extra encouragement, I grab one of the guys for some help (Ive trained at the same gym now for nearly that 10+ years, so, I see many of the same faces @ 0430). If you can build a rapport with people and you see them over and over again at the same time(s)--this may be enough to spawn a training/partner relationship.

Good luck...

-s