©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Do you "pay up" for organic fruits and veggies?

Ironbuilt

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Mûnich , Germany
I can't afford it and not so certain there is a cost benefit to buy organic . I know so many current farms now on ground that was once heavily non organic that its hard to believe there is no residual
fertilizer / pesticides in the earth below. What are your thoughts bruthas?

Cerberus777

AnaSCI VIP
Nov 1, 2012
In talking to a lot of farmers at farmers markets that most don't use fertilizers and pesticides but don't want to pay the fees to be registered "organic" Same for eggs... So I would say shop smarter than buying a fad. There is a middle ground to mass produced and organic.

dlux

Oct 24, 2012
I over heard from one of those farmer market salesman that they do use pesticides, but it is the old school versions.

Not sure on how true is this though.

Cerberus777

AnaSCI VIP
Nov 1, 2012
Most use permethrin if anything. Permethrin is a " natural" pesticide... Same stuff people put on there dogs for fleas... If you was the vegetables you'll be ok

MilburnCreek

Oct 28, 2012
Chester, VT
I rarely buy organic at the supermarket, because (1) I dont trust them and (2) I'd prefer to support local. In our area, there are farmer's markets every day of the week, and you can *talk* to them about what they do, or do not, use on their fruits and veggies. The varieties tend to be noncommercial (so they're not bred to be tasteless and bruiseless), and they're fresh so they're packed with vitamins. We actually look forward to shopping - shirtless :) - at our local farmers' market, and have often had people ask about our work-out regimens. We found that just be *being* there we added an aura of 'healthiness' to the farmers market...and the food is GOOD and we're helping locals.

MilburnCreek

Oct 28, 2012
Chester, VT
Most use permethrin if anything. Permethrin is a " natural" pesticide... Same stuff people put on there dogs for fleas... If you was the vegetables you'll be ok

I think you're referring to Pyrethrin, which is is nothing more than Chrysanthemum pollen: it's deadly to most inspects and harmless to people.

Cerberus777

AnaSCI VIP
Nov 1, 2012
I think you're referring to Pyrethrin, which is is nothing more than Chrysanthemum pollen: it's deadly to most inspects and harmless to people.

Yes permethrin is the name for synthetic pyrethrin. The only difference is no plant are harmed in making it. Lol Both will was away easy and disparate at 83 degrees... So was in warm water and you are fine.

Good that you support local... Most of them can't afford to be certified organic. But take pride in there goods.

b12

Nov 27, 2012
There isn't any national standard for "organic". I don't buy organic. You're more likely to suffer from bateria from the prep, or get produce contaminated from Listeria, E.coli, or Salmonella.

Incognito1

Dec 24, 2012
I don't buy certified organic but I do prefer to buy from markets rather than major green grocers. I also have a small veggie patch at home where I grow most of my commonly used veggies. Fruit I need to buy though

striffe

AnaSCI VET
Feb 6, 2012
USA
Where i live there is only a small section in the large grocery stores of organic food. Here, it is def a fad. However, when i visit my bro in San Francisco, organic food is a way of life. There is no "Whole Foods" where i live. I think thats the only grocery store where he lives. Ive been looking for mct oil here at my local GNC, the vitamin shop, health food stores etc. I cant buy it locally, and everyone i asked didnt know what it was until they looked online. Sure, i can buy it online, but everyone out west tells me "just go to the store and buy it". It aint happening here.
Sorry, i got off topuc a little. I dont think organic food is all its cracked up to be. And even if iwanted it, i dont have much to choose from. The local markets are the way to go.

chris698

Oct 30, 2012
Florida
We have a lot of farmers markets where I live as well. I buy from the farmers market as well as from the grocery store. I don't spend the extra money on organic and I have not started glowing........ yet! :eek:

dudcki27

Banned
Oct 25, 2012
Fruits or vegetables...no but meat and eggs yes. I eat abours a dozen eggs a day so they better be good:D