©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

chest and shoulders together?

yabadabado

Jul 12, 2011
Someone advised me to workout my chest and shoulders together. Does anyone try this? If so, what kind of results do you had?

AtomAnt

AnaSCI VET
Oct 27, 2012
Swole-Nation
It is standard with DC training and very very effective!

Given DC has low volume so you aren't putting a lot of stress on your rotators. You'll also want to choose exercise that don't provide for tremendous congruency. So you wouldn't do too much that would stress the front delts and would avoid doing barbell movements for both chest and shoulders.

tri-terror

Oct 31, 2012
Depending on the rest of your split you could do it. I personally like to train them with arms but you can certainly do chest/delts/tris.

Muscleaddict83

Oct 29, 2012
I've done this quite a bit over the years. My favorite way to do it is a scheme with the general layout:

High Incline Press
Flat Press
Upright Row
Fly
Reverse Fly
Different Fly
Side Lateral

The format stays the same, but there are so many different variations of the exercises that it never gets old or stale.

AtomAnt

AnaSCI VET
Oct 27, 2012
Swole-Nation
Right now I am using the DC 3-way: Chest/Delts/Tris; Bis/Forearms/Back width/ Back thickness; Calves/Hams/Quads Training 4 days per week. This way I can use slightly more volume than the standard DC 2-way and bring up lagging parts. Thus far I am really liking it.

Magnus82

Banned
Oct 29, 2012
Out in the boondocks
I had rotator problems until i switched them to chest night. After 6 months, my shoulders felt great. Not sure if its the prexhausting or the warm up i get from doing chest first, but it has helped considerably. My shoulders have begun to get the coveted "capped" look, so i doubt i will ever go back.

AtomAnt

AnaSCI VET
Oct 27, 2012
Swole-Nation
I often train CHEST/SHOULDERS/TRICEPS on the same day. Its been real effective for me over the years.

I feel that another advantage of training them together is that it reduces carryover. For example, breaking them over over the course of the week will activate the delts and tris on several days throughout the week indirectly but by keeping them together your can train them more frequently directly.

The Grim Repper

Super Moderator
Sep 26, 2008
Making it Happen Somewhere
We need a bit more info on your training split to see what would be best.

I'd like to hear which type of split is being used as well. There are good arguments for doing chest and delts together (some have been mentioned here). Personally, when I was ever trying to bring up one, I'd hold steady on the other somewhat to avoid tweaking anything and possibly stalling both due to an injury.

ASHOP

AnaSCI VET
Aug 28, 2005
ashop.in
I feel that another advantage of training them together is that it reduces carryover. For example, breaking them over over the course of the week will activate the delts and tris on several days throughout the week indirectly but by keeping them together your can train them more frequently directly.

Yes exactly,,,thats correct.

turbobusa

Super Moderator - RIP
Nov 18, 2012
Chest and shoulders were /are a fav of mine for about the last 30 yrs. I feel I have incurred less shoulder injuries due to training with that combo. My shoulders seem to be very warm and well lubed by the time chest work is completed. I do have a shoulder issue due to a bad motorcycle accident and the same still holds true. I can use less wt for direct shoulderwork and get great stimulation while avoiding injury.
This is true for me but something else may be better for you . Maybe give a couple other body part combos a try- carefully.
Thanks, T

doodoop

May 11, 2011
Try it and see if you like it tho, but chances are you won't do it more than once.

whats_up

Dec 14, 2011
I've worked chest, shoulders, and triceps on the same day and I have had good success with it.