©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

calorie deficit

thebull2012

Feb 3, 2013
Out there
If a person is creating enough calorie deficit in his/her diet to equal 3500 cals per week then why is there a need for cardio (for fat loss not health). Wouldn't that person go into a catabolic state because of too many calories being burned.?

kubes

AnaSCI VET
Aug 23, 2013
Los Angeles
I don't think you would go catabolic from a 500 calorie Ed deficit even with cardio. Your cardio should be targeted at the fat burning zone so should be fine

AtomAnt

AnaSCI VET
Oct 27, 2012
Swole-Nation
Cardio, specifically HIIT, stimulates thermogenesis. When you body is in a caloric deficit, over time the metabolism slows due to less food being consumed and it is trying to preserve tissue. Cardio negates this effect.

Additionally, cardio oxegenates the blood and helps to shuttle nutrients. This enables for the body to use what is being put in more efficiently.

Personally, I don't use cardio to get lean, I increase my training frequency and IF NEED BE I add in some HIIT to help facilitate greater fat loss. Heavy, intense weight training actually has a greater EPOC effect than cardio...

Keep in mind, your body is either in a cataolic (fat burning) state of anabolic (growth and recovery) state. For fat loss while preserving muscle, you need to balance catabolism with anabolism through nutrient timing, training and cardio.

Additionally, it goes beyond calories in and calories out. You need to look at the foods you are eating, when you are eating, the intensity of training, duration of training, daily activity level, hormones, sleep, stress levels, digestive health, and supplementation.

Last edited: