©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

"Backwards" dips?

MilburnCreek

Oct 28, 2012
Chester, VT
Working Tris/Chest today, I decided to finish with 100 dips. I got to 80, and then . . . I don't know, I got bored? inventive? adventurous? I did my last 20 'backwards,' ie, facing outside the open end of the "V" instead of in towards the point of the "V" on the dip stand. It very, very clearly exercised a different part of my triceps and hurt like hell, but I went through all 20.

I'm just curious to hear from you veterans...did I do something cool by hitting a muscle from a different angle?

Or was an asshole for doing something that could have resulted in injury?

All comments welcome :)

rAJJIN

Super Moderator
Mar 1, 2006
Never have tried it Milburn.
My immediate thinking was wouldn't it be the same movement?
My Gym though my have a different type of Dip bar then yours.

Are your Fists in front of your Hips or behind?
On a "free wieght" Dip with belt and chain mine are always in front of the hips
as it just seems the natural movement.

On the Machine seated it seems to be more behind the body other then in fron of. Its how it seems for me anyway

turbobusa

Super Moderator - RIP
Nov 18, 2012
What you call backwards facing open end is the way I use to do them with wt
elbows out getting a deep chest stretch. I have not done dips in years . Way too many injuries making them not possible Will say dips and most variations = pullups and variations as great mass and strength builders . Great great excercise.T

Magnus82

Banned
Oct 29, 2012
Out in the boondocks
I know the dip bars you are talking about. Mine are parallel so I cannot do them. I seen a video of Kai Green doing them one have always wanted to give them a shot. They look like they would be highly effective and it is always nice to hit muscles at a different angle.

Ironbuilt

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Mûnich , Germany
Seems like a great variaton to shock the muscles at a different angle.. Good work .. Yeah those seated hammerstrengh dip machines are odd . I get more from standing chain dangled weights .. I have injured a wrist so dips can aggravate it some.Ib

chrisr116

AnaSCI VET
Nov 20, 2012
I would guess any variation would be fine, but just be really in tune with your body, in case you feel something that may be the start of hurting a muscle, joint, or ligament...until you are comfortable with them.

I do 3 sets of 10 weighted dips on my chest day- been doing them for years..I love to do them very slow with a good solid pause at the bottom and top of the range of motion. I change the focal point of the exercise from tris to pecs by leaning in or out when doing them.

AtomAnt

AnaSCI VET
Oct 27, 2012
Swole-Nation
I think the reason doing them in reverse fashion feels different is because of the hand position. When doing them reverse, your hands go into a slight supination and this forces your elbows closer to your body. So if you normally do dips and your elbows flare a little, this will force you to bring your elbows in and provide a different stimulus.

Jello

AnaSCI VIP
Feb 17, 2008
Jello's Avatar..................................T

You mean this one
<--------------------------

I tried the chains around the neck once, felt like I was going to fall forward the whole time. Really felt it in the chest more than with the weight around the waist.

chrisr116

AnaSCI VET
Nov 20, 2012
You mean this one
<--------------------------

I tried the chains around the neck once, felt like I was going to fall forward the whole time. Really felt it in the chest more than with the weight around the waist.

Yep, that is it. That position is one I use when concentrating on the chest musles, and more straight when trying to work the triceps. Never done chains, but I would like to try it. Usually, I just hang the weights off my waist with the belt and chain gizmo.

MilburnCreek

Oct 28, 2012
Chester, VT
AtomAnt hit the nail on the head i think...because the dip handles are not parallel, my hands were supinated...definitely felt more strain on the part of the tris closest to my armpits...think i will add these into The Routine...