©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Any one get the flu shot?

Magnus82

Banned
Oct 29, 2012
Out in the boondocks
Just wondering if any of you get one. I have 3 little ones and they bring this crap home all the time. I work outside and for the most part have been pretty immune to illnesses. Now with kids, it seems something is always going around. My wife and my 10 year old have the flu now and i sure don't want to get it. I think it takes a couple of weeks for the flu shot to start working, so its probably to late. For future, i was wondering, do you get the flu shot and does it seem to help or are there any cons i should know about.

tri-terror

Oct 31, 2012
I always get the flu shot and so do my kids. It's not fool proof as sometimes there are strains of flu not covered by it, but you are a hell of a lot better with it than without it. The flu can be deadly. And the last few years it has had a W shaped mortality curve insead of a V. Meaning it's not only the real young and real old it kills, but healthy young adults as well.

thebrick

Super Moderator - RIP
Oct 28, 2012
I had the flu years ago. I week of being in bed sick as a dog and another week or two of feeling weak and washed out. I have had a flu shot every year since then and have not had the flu. Getting the flu is some serious stuff not to mention possible complications

FordFan

Nov 12, 2012
Other than kid age, I had a flu shot at 22. Got sick. Never had one since and not gotten sick(31now). Wife and son get one yearly.

I never plan to get another one until I'm about 45. Like said, you can get the flu shot and still get just as sick as if you never had one.

MilburnCreek

Oct 28, 2012
Chester, VT
I have a compromised immune system, and always get the flu shot. I'm a teacher, surrounded by hacking, coughing, sick college students who come to school even as their dripping and spraying out of every orifice....and I never get the flu.

By contrast, my partner, whose immune system is fine and who works from home, just got the flu shot...and got minor flu symptoms for an entire week right after the shot.

Magnus82

Banned
Oct 29, 2012
Out in the boondocks
Thanks for all the input fellas. At least there doesn't seem to be a major downside in getting one besides the fact it may not work. I think for $10 its worth a shot, even if only for the peace of mind. Got a vacation in 3 weeks and certainly dont want to lose any hard earned muscle due to some damn virus!

Ironbuilt

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Mûnich , Germany
Lol. I asked this same question during Dec nationwide flu epidemic. All the shots sold fricken out and I forgot till now Magnus so now I think too late.. with kids I would every year cause schools are like huge petry dish.

Ed17447

Oct 28, 2012
Ive never had a flu shot. Ive gotten the flu before but never so sever that it would make me start taking flu shots ( yet!! ). And yeah I agree with ironbuilt that schools are the worst for spreading stuff.

chrisr116

AnaSCI VET
Nov 20, 2012
I got one in November, and when I was in there I was talking with the nurses. They told me that if you had one the year before, you probably still have a pretty solid immunity built up. She said it takes a month or so for your immunity to be built up completely after the shot. I must be lucky cause I never get it, and do take a shot each year. One of these years, I'm sure i will get caught by a flu strain that wasn't covered by the shot.

Incognito1

Dec 24, 2012
I got the flu shot 2 winters ago and still got the flu. Don get sick often but usually one bout of flu per year

striffe

AnaSCI VET
Feb 6, 2012
USA
I keep saying im going to go get one. My mom works in a hospital, and shes always calling me asking if i got one yet. I need to go get one.

The BB Monad

Jul 5, 2010
I never get the flu shot and most of the doctors I work with don't either... Personally I just do some echinacea, propolis and extra vit c 1 week of each month starting September. It works as a natural flu shot without all the nasty sides and it gives you a nice boost in white blood cells.