©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

Anderson Silva & Nick Diaz Fail Tests!

K1

Blue-Eyed Devil...
Jun 25, 2006
Looks like Silva tested positive for Mast and Diaz tested positive for pot again (obviously Silva is going to be the bigger story here):

LAS VEGAS -- Former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva, widely considered the greatest fighter of all time, has tested positive for anabolic steroids.

The UFC announced on Tuesday that Silva, 39, had tested positive for the steroid drostanolone during a random out-of-competition test administered by the Nevada State Athletic Commission on Jan. 9. NSAC chairman Francisco Aguilar confirmed the positive test to ESPN.com

Silva (34-6) returned from a 13-month layoff last weekend to defeat Nick Diaz via unanimous decision at UFC 183 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena. The NSAC said results of the pre-fight test were not available until Tuesday morning, which is why the fight was not canceled.

Additionally, Aguilar informed ESPN.com that Diaz (26-10) tested positive for marijuana metabolites during a post-fight drug test. Aguilar said exact results were unavailable, but confirmed Diaz's results were above the allowable limit of 150 ng/ML.

"On Feb. 3, 2015, the UFC organization was notified by the NSAC that Anderson Silva tested positive for drostanolone metabolites on his Jan. 9 out of competition drug test," said the UFC in a released statement. "UFC's understanding is that further testing will be conducted by the commission to confirm these preliminary results.

"Anderson Silva has been an amazing champion and a true ambassador of the sport of mixed martial arts and the UFC, in Brazil as well as around the world. UFC is disappointed to learn of these initial results."

According to Aguilar, Silva was tested on Jan. 9, Jan. 19 and Jan. 31 -- all blood and urine tests. Results of the out-of-competition Jan. 19 test are currently unavailable.

Each fighter faces a potential fine and suspension. It marks the third marijuana-related offense for Diaz.

The NSAC's next scheduled meeting is on Feb. 17. Silva and Diaz will likely be temporarily suspended at that time. Full disciplinary hearings will be scheduled for each.

ESPN reached out to Silva and Diaz's camps for comment. Neither has responded at this time.

Diaz, 31, was suspended for six months in 2007, after he tested positive for the active ingredient in marijuana, THC, following a win over Takanori Gomi in Las Vegas. In May 2012, Diaz received a one-year suspension from the NSAC after again testing positive for marijuana metabolites following a loss to Carlos Condit at UFC 143. The Stockton, California native has publicly stated he is a registered medical marijuana user within his home state for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.

Silva has never tested positive for a banned substance before in his near 18-year career.

MR. BMJ

AnaSCI VIP / Donating Member
Sep 24, 2006
Basskiller posted at WCBB that Anderson was also possibly popped for a second AAS:

UPDATE: Ariel Helwani revealed, via Twitter, that Silva may have also tested positive for a second steroid, Androsterone.

*Bio*

Super Moderator
Oct 30, 2012
Diaz has an interesting case. He passed his pre-fight test...No marijuana. Then his post fight test, he's double the allowable amount. Some were saying that the exertion may have triggered a release in his system. Caesar Gracie said he didn't smoke anything after the fight, before the test was administered. I'm curious if Nick ate anything that had marijuana in it.

As for Silva, he says he's going to fight it and won't talk to the press until all of this is resolved. Sad that a grown man who is a professional athlete couldn't use some Drostanolone and Androsterone to help rehab after a broken leg. But "thems" the rules.

K1

Blue-Eyed Devil...
Jun 25, 2006
Anderson Silva Responds

Anderson Silva Responds to the Steroid Use Allegations with four key points.

1. He didn’t use steroids.
2. He will ask for a confirmation test.
3. He believes there is a contamination or mistake from the lab.
4. He would not tarnish his image and career by using steroids. It is not worth the risk.

Anderson Silva makes a direct Response to the media, his fans and the world;

I’ve been competing in this sport for a very long time. This is my nineteenth fight in the UFC. I have been thoroughly tested many times and have never had a positive drug test. I have not taken any performance-enhancing drugs. My stance on drugs is, and will always be, the same. I’m an advocate for a clean sport. I’m consulting with my advisors right now to explore all of my options and intend to fight this allegation and clear my name. I will not make any further comments until my team advises me to do so.

Those closer to Anderson and this situation are claiming Anderson is vehemently denying any wrongdoing, or having taken PED’s.

Anderson’s Doctor, Marcio Tannure, who is also the medical director of the Brazilian MMA Athletic Commission, told Band News Radio, that it was “too soon to judge”.

Anderson’s doctor stands firmly behind his patient;

Anderson told me he’s disappointed, upset because he didn’t use steroids. … He told me: ‘I have an impeccable career history and I wouldn’t want to tarnish my image.’ It’s too soon to judge. He has the right to a confirmation test and two other results. The Nevada Athletic Commission hasn’t talked yet, and the press is already judging him. The process isn’t over yet.

*Bio*

Super Moderator
Oct 30, 2012
Anderson Silva Responds to the Steroid Use Allegations with four key points.

1. He didn’t use steroids.
2. He will ask for a confirmation test.
3. He believes there is a contamination or mistake from the lab.
4. He would not tarnish his image and career by using steroids. It is not worth the risk.

Anderson Silva makes a direct Response to the media, his fans and the world;

Those closer to Anderson and this situation are claiming Anderson is vehemently denying any wrongdoing, or having taken PED’s.

Anderson’s Doctor, Marcio Tannure, who is also the medical director of the Brazilian MMA Athletic Commission, told Band News Radio, that it was “too soon to judge”.

Anderson’s doctor stands firmly behind his patient;

Now a lot of people aren't looking at the fact that he's never tested positive, they're saying, "How many times has he beat the test in the past." Personally, I think he needs to look to any supplements that he's been using and / or given. Those ingredients would be something you could find in a supplement powder!

K1

Blue-Eyed Devil...
Jun 25, 2006
Anderson Silva’s Second Pre-Fight Drug Test Was Clean

The Nevada State Athletic Commission has revealed the second UFC 183 pre-fight drug test they conducted on Anderson Silva has come back clean and free of any performance enhancing drugs.

The NSAC released the official documents to the public showing that they conducted the second test on January 19th, 2015.

The Nevada State Athletic Commission sent the test to WADA-approved sports medicine research and testing facility in Salt Lake City, Utah.

This recent discovery is interesting, because the initial drug test Anderson Silva failed was conducted on January 9th, 2015, only 10-days ahead of his clean test.

The news also comes on the same day that the UFC announced that Anderson Silva is being replaced as a coach on TUF Brazil 4

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 31

*Bio*

Super Moderator
Oct 30, 2012
I saw that yesterday. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. 10 days difference could be the difference between someone's miscalculation on when a drug will be detectable and when one won't.

I've never seen Anderson Silva as a PED user but considering his recovery from a broken leg it wouldn't be out of the question. I'm curious how trusting he may have been of someone he trusted in his camp that had him taking supplements!

Sully

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 3, 2012
Now a lot of people aren't looking at the fact that he's never tested positive, they're saying, "How many times has he beat the test in the past." Personally, I think he needs to look to any supplements that he's been using and / or given. Those ingredients would be something you could find in a supplement powder!

Lance Armstrong never tested positive either. Just sayin.

K1

Blue-Eyed Devil...
Jun 25, 2006
The Nevada Athletic Commission on Tuesday confirmed that Anderson Silva has failed a second drug test, his UFC 183 post-fight screen.

Silva’s post-fight drug test showed that he again tested positive for steroids, as well as anti-anxiety medication.

The steroid he tested positive for was Drostolanone, which is one of the anabolic steroid metabolites he tested positive for in a Jan. 9 out-of-competition drug test (the other was Androstane). He also tested positive for the anti-anxiety medications Oxazepam and Temazepam, which is used to treat sleep deprivation.

The anti-anxiety medication is not banned, but must be revealed on the medical questionnaire that all fighters are required to submit prior to a fight.

What makes the second positive for Drostolanone so damning is that Silva had undergone a second out-of-competition drug test on Jan. 19 that did not reveal any banned substances. In his comments to ESPN.com, Nevada Athletic Commission executive director Bob Bennett felt that indicated he may have used the steroid after the two out-of-competition tests, but within close proximity to his Jan. 31 bout with Nick Diaz, which he won.

“I can’t speak for the [NAC] Chairman nor can I speak for the commissioners,” Bennett told ESPN.com. “But something I find particularly concerning is that [Silva] tested positive on Jan. 9 and then he tested negative on Jan. 19. If he took this orally, it only stays in your system 5-to-7 days.

“So, obviously, he used it sometime around Jan. 9 and then he used it shortly before the night of the fight. Whether the commission finds this egregious — that he tested positive twice out of three times — is up to them. I certainly find it concerning and unacceptable. It gives an unfair advantage to the person on that. God forbid, a serious injury were to occur to an opponent when someone is on something.”

For his part, Silva has denied taking any banned substances to give him an edge.

“I have not taken any performance enhancing drugs. My stance on drugs is, and will always be, the same. I’m an advocate for a clean sport,” he said in a statement to MMAWeekly.com.

Although the promotion removed Silva as a The Ultimate Fighter Brazil 4 coach at the behest of the NAC, the promotion and company president Dana White have voiced support for Silva. White, however, has since admitted that Silva testing positive “really screwed me up for a few days.”

Silva’s case is to receive an initial briefing before the Nevada Athletic Commission during a Tuesday afternoon meeting.

MR. BMJ

AnaSCI VIP / Donating Member
Sep 24, 2006
I've seen Dana get irate at so many fighters for failing tests due to AAS, but yet has "support" for Anderson. Seems unfair to me....but it will be interesting to see how all this unfolds.

Sully

AnaSCI VET / Donating Member
Dec 3, 2012
I've seen Dana get irate at so many fighters for failing tests due to AAS, but yet has "support" for Anderson. Seems unfair to me....but it will be interesting to see how all this unfolds.

Dana has his favorites. Always has and always will. And on top of it, Dana seems to be highly mercurial. He tends to be an exercise in contradictions at every turn.