©ALL CONTENT OF THIS WEBSITE IS COPYRIGHTED AND CANNOT BE REPRODUCED WITHOUT THE ADMINISTRATORS CONSENT 2003-2020

A lesson: Change drawing needle, clean injection area!

tee

AnaSCI VET
Feb 6, 2004
USA
A bro of mine just got out of the hospital after being there for over a week. He shot QV test into his delt and got an infection. He didnt use alcohol pads, didnt clean the area before injecting, and uses the same drawing pin for a couple weeks before replacing with a new one. ALWAYS change the drawing needle before each draw. ALWAYS use alcohol and clean the injection site! My bro had to have his arm cut open, part of his back cut into, and has a tube surgically implanted into his heart that pumps medicine into it at regular intervals to keep the infection from spreading there. What fun eh?

AnaSCI

ADMINISTRATOR
Sep 17, 2003
thanks for sharing that with us, i know somebody who uses your friends, unsanitary technique i better let him know

tee

AnaSCI VET
Feb 6, 2004
USA
Thanks cbr & anasci. I often times use the same draw pin to inject with. I figured since my doctor does it, its okay for me too. From now on, I think Ill get over my laziness and change pins for that as well. Its not worth the risk of what can happen if you get an infection.

A

armani1072

sorry to hear about your friend tee. glad he is ok now.

pinz are so inexpensive it iw worth changing them out every time for your safety;)

good post tee. thanks.

cinders

Apr 21, 2004
I always use one pin to draw and one pin to inject with, I've found that using the same pin can blunt it when you draw - a fresh pin seems to pierce the skin/fat much easier and leaves no bruising etc. I always use an alchohol wipe to clean the area, and would never re-use a pin - whats the point when you can get them for peanuts?!...